Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Tim Noakes/ Banting Diet

W

WheresMyAbs

Jun 26, 2012
Has anyine heard of the Banting Diet? Tim Noakes wrote a book called The Real Meal Revolution. I haven't read her book yet, bit I have been listening to interviews he has done and there are already people who has seen amazing results. However can anyone tell me if this could be a diet that a beginner in bodybuilding can follow? Can anyone who is serious about bodybuilding follow this diet?

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
This type of diet will not work for bodybuilding, this is a low carb diet. Noakes came up with this diet in late 1800s i believe and Atkins revamped this diet. You wont find many fans of those fad diets here on TID, but maybe you can give some more in depth info on what you are currently doing and what your goals are, im assuming bodybuilding?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I recommend the HCG diet. Weight loss of 30-50lbs are not uncommon.

kidding

D

DocH

Jun 13, 2014
Hi

I saw your post and because I have been wanting to discuss the low carb issue with some of the serious body builders in my gym, i thought I could share my thoughts here.

Both Professor Tim Noakes (Real Meal Revolution) and myself (The Decarb Diet), have written books about the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) way of eating. I firmly believe that it has relevance for bodybuilders and the muscle can be added while doing LCHF.

What worries me is that some of the protein/ recovery/pre-workout shakes and powders contain too many sugars and sugar derivatives. Almost always the addition of these sugars adds no value to the product and serves only to add fat to the bodybuilder who is taking them. The physiology of this outcome is simple. Excess energy in the form of carbs AND protein has nowhere to go once travelling in the blood stream. The body has NO CHOICE but to change this excess into fat. Once muscle fat cells are full where else is there to go except the gut for storing fat?

Notably some of the really cut and massive guys in my gym have intra-abdominal fat that is clearly visible to anyone who knows where to look.

They look great but their six pack abdomen's are distended on a side-to-side view because they are loaded internally with fat around their livers and internal organs. This kind of intra-abdominal fat is dangerous for anyone's health and is completely different to external wobbly belly fat. Of course the less professional weekend-warriors have both internal and external fat.

So I think that LCHF indeed has a place in the word of bodybuilding and can produce large, lean and healthy bodies.

Doc H

E

Essie

Jul 20, 2014
Tim Noakes/banting diet

Hi

I saw your post and because I have been wanting to discuss the low carb issue with some of the serious body builders in my gym, i thought I could share my thoughts here.

Both Professor Tim Noakes (Real Meal Revolution) and myself (The Decarb Diet), have written books about the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) way of eating. I firmly believe that it has relevance for bodybuilders and the muscle can be added while doing LCHF.

What worries me is that some of the protein/ recovery/pre-workout shakes and powders contain too many sugars and sugar derivatives. Almost always the addition of these sugars adds no value to the product and serves only to add fat to the bodybuilder who is taking them. The physiology of this outcome is simple. Excess energy in the form of carbs AND protein has nowhere to go once travelling in the blood stream. The body has NO CHOICE but to change this excess into fat. Once muscle fat cells are full where else is there to go except the gut for storing fat?

Notably some of the really cut and massive guys in my gym have intra-abdominal fat that is clearly visible to anyone who knows where to look.

They look great but their six pack abdomen's are distended on a side-to-side view because they are loaded internally with fat around their livers and internal organs. This kind of intra-abdominal fat is dangerous for anyone's health and is completely different to external wobbly belly fat. Of course the less professional weekend-warriors have both internal and external fat.

So I think that LCHF indeed has a place in the word of bodybuilding and can produce large, lean and healthy bodies.

Doc H

Hi

Can you recommend any protein/ pre-workout/ shake with no or very little sugar or sugar derivatives?

Essie

F

Forge

Nov 29, 2014
This type of diet will not work for bodybuilding, this is a low carb diet. Noakes came up with this diet in late 1800s i believe and Atkins revamped this diet. You wont find many fans of those fad diets here on TID, but maybe you can give some more in depth info on what you are currently doing and what your goals are, im assuming bodybuilding?

ok so... with your clear misinformation about the Banting diet and the Dr who has gotten results with years of studies on it.. please explain to me how someone born in 1949 "comes up" with a diet in the 1800's... did he time travel?? rather not say anything to anyone based on assumptions please :/ do some research before you just blab about something you know clearly next to nothing about.

B

bluewhite

Dec 7, 2015
I'm currently doing a high protein high fat diet with zero carbs. So far its the most practical way of eating for me because im just chowing meat eggs whey avos and salads. what I like about this way of eating is I don't have any "lows during the day" as my eyes open in the morning I have energy right through to bedtime. I don't do any meal timing or any weighing I just eat when im hungry. The fat is responsible for keeping the energy levels up and when I say fat I mean butter olive oil bacon fat chicken skin avos cream etc I go all the way. I do weights in the morning and jui jitsu in the evening so I need a slightly higher fat intake. One thing with this way of eating is you got to stick with it you cant start eating carbs whenever you want (mabey a balls to the wall cheat meal once a week) if you start mixing the fat with carbs youll pick up belly fat quick so if you do a protein carb fat diet stick with it if you go banting stick with it but mixing the two is no good. While a don't have a six pack right now from this diet (its still a bit soon) I have leaned out quite a bit and put on descent muscle. i'm not sure if its a way to eat if you want to be a 100KG bodybuilder but for a small framed guy like me who rather prefers the brad pitt in fight club look hovering around 75kg's this is a good pratical way of eating. I did the whole egg whites raw oats fish 6 meals a day thing yea I'll just blurt it out I don't have the drive for it. I start off well then come cheat day its a runaway train. I admire the guys who do it but for me its not practical. Anyway go google vince garronda/ vince garronda diet and there you can see an old school bodybuilder who just stuffed his face with meat and eggs and he came in looking ok without carbs

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This whole thread reads like an ad... especially the one post wonder that got butt hurtttttt

A

aperry580

Oct 1, 2015
look at all these "members" and this is their only post

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic