Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Pro Biotic, Do You Take Them ?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
So I was watching tv about a month or so back and saw a commercial for pro biotics. The commercial said 70% of your immune system is in your stomach?

So I went to the nutrition store and found one.

Does anyone else take them ?

So far starting out I've noticed some stomach pain but I read in a magazine that's normal because its getting rid of all the bad bacteria in your stomach.

How true is all of that ?

PS.... If you are wondering, I do get cable in the basement. I spliced into Lizard Kings satellite dish...... :D

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
No and I don't see any reason to. Seems kinda weird to me.

I don't worry about my immune system. It seems to work just fine.

I have missed exactly 2 days of work due to illness in the last 13+ years.

Last edited:
monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I just eat yogurt and drink kombucha.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
If yogurt is not in my diet, then I take a probiotic. I never heard of a probiotic causing pain. (Probiotics add bacteria not take it away.)<--- not sure this is true

Last edited:
M

Mijeyzway

Jul 12, 2013
Yes, daily. They are recommended by all the top trainers of pros that I know.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
If you eat lots of veges, fruit, raw and unprocessed foods, fermented and sprouted foods and eat an alkaline-based diet then you don't need them.

But most people do not eat this way, so they can be useful in terms of recolonisation and benefiting gut microbiota. Yoghurt is generally a poor choice due to their low CFU and high sugar content, go for a good quality multi-strain capsule that has a high CFU. Nature's Way 'Optima' is one of the best ones I have came across.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I get my pro-biotics from my lebneh that I eat 3 or more times a week.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Mini.

Im out of thanks for the day.

I'll look at mine and see what it is. I bought the weaker one because I'm so sensitive to pills.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Yes, probiotics with my breakfast and yogurt before bed-time.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
So I was watching tv about a month or so back and saw a commercial for pro biotics. The commercial said 70% of your immune system is in your stomach?

So I went to the nutrition store and found one.

Does anyone else take them ?

So far starting out I've noticed some stomach pain but I read in a magazine that's normal because its getting rid of all the bad bacteria in your stomach.

How true is all of that ?

PS.... If you are wondering, I do get cable in the basement. I spliced into Lizard Kings satellite dish...... :D

==========================================================================

Be careful what you read, you just may believe it!

While it's true the entire GI tract contributes to the immunity we all develop over time, misinformation abounds in the supplement sales arena. Why? Money of course!

Ironically even though the enterobacteriaceae AKA the enterobacteria or "gut bacteria" if you like, which include E-Coli, Enterobacter, and Klebsiella are considered symbiots of the GI tract, (as are the Lactobacilli in yogurt) has this chronic GI "exposure" morphed into enhanced systemic immunity? Not based on existing infectious disease data.

Fact is E-coli was and still is the leading cause of UTI's in humans and VANCOMYCIN resistant enterococci has become a significant cause of drug resistant post operative abdominal infections. (I'll stop the endless examples there)

So although the GI tract may "prep" the immune system thru bacterial exposure, for a commercial to suggest the "Stomach contains 70% of the immune system" is obviously biased and no doubt intended to improve sales.

But perhaps the blood itself, lungs, bone marrow, spleen, liver and the entire lymphatic system are no longer considered major players in immunity! We all know better.

So what about this yogurt thing? I kinda liken it to marijuana, some like it some don't, but don't count on either saving any lives :)

Regs
jim

A

AdvoByrne

Jul 19, 2014
I heard that some pro-biotic supplements are the equivalent to like 7 yogurts.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic