Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

htcz protocol

big bx

big bx

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2011
What's the protocol to use this before a competition?

I've searched but not really finding anything useful.

If you've used successfully, post up.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I have it in my last log and posted a thread on it lemme do a little digging

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Originally Posted by ShelbyStarnes
Pretty much the same as Dyazide (which is HCTZ and triamterene).

Here's Dave's protocol (or pretty close to it, anyways.. sometimes he changes the hours), it would work for you. Where he says "mg", he means "tab".. so take 1/2 a tab (1/2 of your 25mg) each time.

Dave, can you post your dyazide protocol for the night prior and/or the day of a show?
DP: For a Saturday morning prejudging:
½ mg at 6pm on Friday (cut all water)
½ mg at 9pm on Friday
½ mg at 12am on Friday (Saturday)
½ mg at 6am on Saturday
½ mg After prejudging

He means 25mg being a full tab

i did this same protocol but took an extra half tab thurs night and Friday morning

I was dry as **** at pj but I felt like I rebounded a bit late evening but it may have been from the fats I was eating between am n pm shows as that was what my feeling was on it

big bx

big bx

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2011
Originally Posted by ShelbyStarnes
Pretty much the same as Dyazide (which is HCTZ and triamterene).

Here's Dave's protocol (or pretty close to it, anyways.. sometimes he changes the hours), it would work for you. Where he says "mg", he means "tab".. so take 1/2 a tab (1/2 of your 25mg) each time.

Dave, can you post your dyazide protocol for the night prior and/or the day of a show?
DP: For a Saturday morning prejudging:
½ mg at 6pm on Friday (cut all water)
½ mg at 9pm on Friday
½ mg at 12am on Friday (Saturday)
½ mg at 6am on Saturday
½ mg After prejudging

He means 25mg being a full tab

i did this same protocol but took an extra half tab thurs night and Friday morning

I was dry as **** at pj but I felt like I rebounded a bit late evening but it may have been from the fats I was eating between am n pm shows as that was what my feeling was on it

Thanks. I seen that in your log, when I searched.

Do you think I'll need more as I'm about 225?

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Well that was Dave palumbos protocol not specific to me... So I am assuming it was taking into consideration a 220+ bber... Starnes posted it up and he is like 218... Unfortunately without the time to experiment further out with how you respond you are left guessing... I took 50 mg split to 2 doses for 5-6 days before and dried out quite a bit but you risk potassium wasting after awhile

big bx

big bx

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2011
Well that was Dave palumbos protocol not specific to me... So I am assuming it was taking into consideration a 220+ bber... Starnes posted it up and he is like 218... Unfortunately without the time to experiment further out with how you respond you are left guessing... I took 50 mg split to 2 doses for 5-6 days before and dried out quite a bit but you risk potassium wasting after awhile

So, you took it the whole week before the show? Or you experimented at some point in your prep for 5 days?

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Earlier on in prep like 7 -5 wk out

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
If your using more than 25 mg / day of HCTZ, KCL supplementation is strongly advised at a dosage of 10-20 meq/day

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Yes that is correct dr j however it is not necessary if you are eating dark green fiberous veggies that are high in K such as broccoli. I would see the potassium wasting issue being problematic if you are on >25mg for longer than a week on a diet that is lacking in K..I had bloodwork done after ramping up to 50 for 4 days drinking 6-9liters and had no potassium issue

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Dyazide is potassium sparing ... If you are drinking plenty of water and eating your veggies you shouldn't have an issue. Had 2-2.5 gal right up to 10pm Friday then sipped on 10oz water and a diet coke at lunch show day and was super dry

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Because the symptoms of hypokalemia range from ZIPPO to cardiac arrhythmias and because any "excessive" K is eliminated, unless the GFR is less than 5-10% of normal, the chanced of developing hypokalemia from diuretic use far exceeds the minute risks of potassium supplementation.

I would agree however natural supplementation would be preferred BUT the total amount of K which is BIOAVAILABLE in ANY modern day food stuff is inconsistent at best.

Interestingly while some BB may attribute the vague complaints of cutting (weakness, cramps, malaise, muscle "twitching" etc) to "dehydration", they are often surprised to discover their serum K is LESS than THREE meq/dl (normal 3.6-5.0) This is particularly true of those using diuretics, IME.

Hey I'm not here to re-invent the wheel, but to perhaps provide another viewpoint from a medical perspective.

Regs
Jim

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic