Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What type of Elbow Wraps

B

Bronik.

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2013
I have been suffering from golfers elbow here. Anyone have any advice on the many types of wraps they have? I had to back off on the training as well. It's really bumming me out...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Suffering from golfers elbow here. Anyone have any advice on the many types of wraps they have? Had to back off on the training as well. It's really bumming me out...

Go see a physical therapist. If that is too costly buy voodoo floss from roguefitness.com. There are plenty of youtube vids on how to use it. Really simple. Wrap the elbow with the floss and move it around basically. Couple minutes per day.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
A cheap "Tennis Elbow strap" can work wonders if the damage is minimal. When I start to get "close" to an injury, I wear a set of small Tommy Kono knee sleeves on my arms.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
A cheap "Tennis Elbow strap" can work wonders if the damage is minimal. When I start to get "close" to an injury, I wear a set of small Tommy Kono knee sleeves on my arms.

Tennis elbow straps don't fix a thing. They're nothing more than a tourniquet. You need to fix the problem and not just mask it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

That's what a lot of docs will suggest. Also a carpel tunnel wrist brace. They will help the symptoms yes but treating it is a smarter move.

B

Bronik.

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2013
Tennis elbow straps don't fix a thing. They're nothing more than a tourniquet. You need to fix the problem and not just mask it.

Well, on a scale from one to ten, the pain is a four. The pain has gotten a little worse than the first time it came about. And it is reoccurring. I wasn't sure how serious these things could get if ignored until a friend clued me in after I tapped out only 20 minutes into lifting. The last thing I want is surgery and I don't think I'm anywhere close to needing it. I'm sure if I went to the doc he/she would just tell me to stop what I'm doing and rest for a few months. I just can't do that though. Not right now...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Pain on inside or outside of elbow? If inside make sure you are stretching your flexors and working your extensors. Sometimes it's due to an imbalance. I would also suggest trying POB advice of the voodoo floss.

B

Bronik.

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2013
On the inside. Not savy with medical terms, but it starts right where the funny bone is on the inside and about half way up the forearm. Not affecting my wrist or hand. Doesn't even really hurt when gripping anything.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'd say if you haven't tried stretching your flexors... try that. Put your hand against a wall with your fingers facing down and your palm away from you. You should feel a stretch, walk your hand up a lil bit to increase the stretch. This very well may help you.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
The medical term is "medial epicondylitis". This "tendoniopathy" involves the attachment of the wrist pronators (palm down position) and flexors at the medial (inside) epicondyle (the bony protuberance of the humerus). The injury is similar to almost any other "over use" injury with redness, swelling and the development of scar tissue noted over time pathologically.

More than 90% of patients respond to conservative measures such as: restrictive splinting (hampers motion in those planes which cause symptoms), NSAIDS, "band therapy" (much like what your describing) OP, and/or physical therapy. IMO almost ALL patients respond to what is called RICE therapy (REST, ICE, COMPRESSION and ELEVATION) with time.

Nevertheless some patients do NOT respond in a timely fashion and may prefer a more aggressive approach. The latter can effectively accomplished with corticosteroid ingestions.

These injections are essentially VOID of morbidity IF PERFORMED CORRECTLY (direct injection of the TENDON and JOINT must be avoided) which is ENTIRELY different than the injection of corticosteroids into large joints.. The latter may certainly create complications since their primary mechanism involves the SOFTENING of articular cartilage!

Finally on RARE occasions some patients, professional athletes in particular, may require surgical resection and reattachment of the scarred tissue, which over may limit ROM over time itself.

I would suggest you obtain a formal diagnosis since there are 3-4 other overlap diagnoses such as: ulnar nerve entrapment, bursitis, and ulnar collateral ligament disruption which should be entertained at presentation.

Best
jim

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The medical term is "medial epicondylitis". This "tendoniopathy" involves the attachment of the wrist pronators (palm down position) and flexors at the medial (inside) epicondyle (the bony protuberance of the humerus). The injury is similar to almost any other "over use" injury with redness, swelling and the development of scar tissue noted over time pathologically.

More than 90% of patients respond to conservative measures such as: restrictive splinting (hampers motion in those planes which cause symptoms), NSAIDS, "band therapy" (much like what your describing) OP, and/or physical therapy. IMO almost ALL patients respond to what is called RICE therapy (REST, ICE, COMPRESSION and ELEVATION) with time.

Nevertheless some patients do NOT respond in a timely fashion and may prefer a more aggressive approach. The latter can effectively accomplished with corticosteroid ingestions.

These injections are essentially VOID of morbidity IF PERFORMED CORRECTLY (direct injection of the TENDON and JOINT must be avoided) which is ENTIRELY different than the injection of corticosteroids into large joints.. The latter may certainly create complications since their primary mechanism involves the SOFTENING of articular cartilage!

Finally on RARE occasions some patients, professional athletes in particular, may require surgical resection and reattachment of the scarred tissue, which over may limit ROM over time itself.

I would suggest you obtain a formal diagnosis since there are 3-4 other overlap diagnoses such as: ulnar nerve entrapment, bursitis, and ulnar collateral ligament disruption which should be entertained at presentation.

Best
jim

Dr I wonder who those patients are though and believe it makes a difference when talking about RICE or treatment with bands and NSAIDS. The reason I ask is because you will be hard pressed to find many of our type resting it.

Fortunately there have been some techniques that keep us training after this conditions rears it's ugly head. I used to get this in both elbows every so often but now that I pay better attention to keeping the joint mobile and the surrounding tissues "supple" it hasn't come back.

Take a look on youtube at mobilitywod. It's a project by Kelly Starret, Ph.D.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
And if you read the OP's question he was asking for "advice on th many types of wraps offered which is what I did". They are from from a tourniquet and are a viable solution for many recreational lifters.

ill go so far as to posit that they actually offer some "rest" to the tendon by shifting the load. As stated by POB, few of us actually "rest" any injury.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic