Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

knee flexion, a forgotten action of calf muscles

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
people talk about standing calf, donkey calf, and seated calf, but rarely discuss about knee flexion, one of their primary function. I've always noticed great pump on calves while doing lying leg curls, and when i follow that with standing calves and/or donkeys, my claves would just blow up like football. granted I have good calf genetic but when i see people complaining about their calves and how it never grows, I hardly see their calves contracting while doing heel raises. perhaps they're missing something in their calf routine?

enter POF(positions of flexion by steve hoffman, not plenty of fish:))
this book has all their bodyparts trained through
1. mid range, or compound exercises, (think press for chest)
2. stretch (db flyes which overloads stretch portion of exercises)
3. peak contraction (end of pec deck or cable flyes)

so midrange for calves(gastronemius) would be leg curl, with hamstrings being the synergist,
and stretch would be donkey calf where the muscles are being stretched from 2 joints(knee and ankle),
and contraction would be standing calf where muscles would get maximum shortening.
follow that with some kind of bent knee raises like seated calf to finish off the soleus.

disagree? perhaps you should try them before bashing it.

D

doukkali

Apr 12, 2014
No doubt, legs curls are good exercise that no one can dismiss their benefits the back legs area. I feel frustration when doing them I don't why.

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
I also read something recently about stiff knee versus bended knee on seated calf raises. Been trying to stay conscience of my form.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I did this POF thing a few years ago. Good pumps from all the stretching.

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
No, POB means POF "Pickles On Faces"....Its like Plenty of fish but for the casual homosexual.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Originally this program was actually called Pillar of Flexion as that was my first board handle but me and the other guy that created it had a falling out. In the subsequent lawsuit I got to keep Pillar and he got to keep of Flexion.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic