Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Laboratory-grown vaginas implanted in patients

G

Godsmack

Sep 18, 2010
Tissue-engineered autologous vaginal organs in patients: a pilot cohort study

[h=3]Background[/h]Several disorders might require vaginal reconstruction, such as congenital abnormalities, injury, or cancer. Reconstructive techniques for which non-vaginal tissue is used can be associated with complications. We assessed the use of engineered vaginal organs in four patients with vaginal aplasia caused by Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser syndrome (MRKHS).

[h=3]Methods[/h]We invited to participate four consecutive patients who presented over a 3-year period with congenital vaginal aplasia due to MRKHS. Patients were aged 13—18 years. We obtained a vulvar biopsy of autologous tissue from every patient. We cultured, expanded, and seeded epithelial and muscle cells onto biodegradable scaffolds. The organs were constructed and allowed to mature in an incubator in a facility approved for human-tissue manufacturing. We used a perineal approach to surgically implant these organs. We recorded history, physical examination, vaginoscopy, serial tissue biopsies, MRIs, and self-administered Female Sexual Function Index questionnaire results for all patients, with a follow-up of up to 8 years.

[h=3]Findings[/h]We noted no long-term postoperative surgical complications. Yearly serial biopsies showed a tri-layered structure, consisting of an epithelial cell-lined lumen surrounded by matrix and muscle, with expected components of vaginal tissue present. Immunohistochemical analysis confirmed the presence of phenotypically normal smooth muscle and epithelia. The MRIs, which showed the extent of the vaginal aplasia before surgery, showed the engineered organs and the absence of abnormalities after surgery, which was confirmed with yearly vaginoscopy. A validated self-administered Female Sexual Function Index questionnaire showed variables in the normal range in all areas tested, such as desire, arousal, lubrication, orgasm, satisfaction, and painless intercourse.

[h=3]Interpretation[/h]Vaginal organs, engineered from the patient's own cells and implanted, showed normal structural and functional variables with a follow-up of up to 8 years. These technologies could be useful in patients requiring vaginal reconstruction.

Tissue-engineered autologous vaginal organs in patients: a pilot cohort study : The Lancet

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I'm gonna get one grafted to my left hand.

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
a vagina with no bitchy moods,,sign me up,,hell gimmee 2

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
pics or it didn't happen.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
Damn, I'm 10 minutes too late! I want pics too!

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Mike will corner the market on Hand jobs!

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
And it's a great place to keep loose change.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I am wondering if you can choose and 18 year old vagina for middle aged woman................now that would be a great seller:p

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic