Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

IT Question to TID Geeks...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
What's the best anti virus I should run on my new laptop?

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Mar 19, 2012
AVG
Go to download.com and search anti-virus

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Is it plugged in?

Is the power on?

Have you tried re-booting it?

Re-boot it again...

That's all I got.

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
Kasperksy for the win!! You can pick up Kaspersky ONE for like $25 on ebay which gives you licenses for 5 devices. I heard sophos was good too though. I didn't like AVG. It slowed down my system too much.

Slic.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Go over to cnet.com and see what they suggest.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Mar 19, 2012
Dont forget about the throwing it out of a window test.

If it's an Apple, he won't have a Window. LOL
I agree with SlicWilly, if you're not careful AVG could screw it up. I used to use it on my PC and it worked better than Norton, IMO.
But if you want a free AV, AVG is the one.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It's not an Apple. It doesn't have to be free.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Little bit about your computer, is it running windows/unix/mac, what are the stats or model (no point running a firewall that makes the thing a snail), and what are you worried about, just general firewall/antivirus stuff or do you often run suspect executables?

I normally blanket recommend Kaspersky. I've got high regard for their products and they do what they set out to do very well. If your looking for something free then AVG does an alright job but otherwise find a cracked kaspersky or buy one.

Now I'll get a little more complicated, kaspersky is great, their reverse engineers and tech's are some of the best in the world. The work they've done in the past is amazing and they're brought a lot to the table when it comes to AV's. The downside is that there is a lot of credence in to the rumors that Eugene Kaspersky (founder/CEO of Kaspersky Labs) is part of the Russian secret service, it's known his previous service to their defence force but current service is pure speculation. Here is where it gets even more complicated, by law in Russia, encryption and security companies are required to share their information with the government to some degree. So really, as much as there is evidence to kaspersky being a great product there is also some speculation to the Russians being capable of gathering mass data on US citizens.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
A bit about the laptop.... it's running windows 8. It's an AMD-A8 (quad core), 8GB Ram, 750GB HD so it's a decent laptop it just didn't come with anything so before I use it I want to install everything I need and one thing being protection for it. It doesn't have to be free... I don't mind paying for it.

Wheyrage

Wheyrage

Jun 26, 2011
Kaspersky. Best I used. I hate windows 8.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic