Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?

G

GrassFed

Sep 18, 2010
Why do people spend so much time at work.

Why not spend less on house, car and stupid stuff, and work less ?

That extra time could be spent with friends, family, excercising, making healthy meals, engaging in hobbies and interests, talking a walk, trekking and camping, fishing, hunting, travel. I mean, just living your life...

Are we brainwashed by the system from early age. Having to spend most of the day in school and then do homework. Like that we should not develop time comsuming interests that could conflict future working "career".

The media and commercials brainwash us into this comsumer spending trap. But I am starting to wonder if it really makes us happy.

A

arnoldblack

Sep 6, 2010
I clock 60 hours a week on average, but I like my work, its in a field I have a personal interest in and its in a field which allows me to earn more than my peers workign just as hard in other industries bar the successful business owners. Money doesn't make me happy but gives me peace of mind, I don't worry about mortgage payments and taxes and bills...etc.

I don't want to stay at home and go trekking...etc, well I do. But I also want to travel across the planet once a year, something I have been able to do for a good number of years lately and exprience other parts of the world and see it with my own eyes. I was taught you don't get something for nothing and hard work is somethign to be proud off, so when I am driving my Merc on the weekend, or sitting in a top notch restaurant with a smoking hot chick on the weekend or flying to another exotic continent for two weeks exploring, it feels well deserved and earned.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
So when you get too old to work you aren't broke and a burden to your family or tax payers. Called being responsible for yourself and possibly leaving a little something for your loved ones

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Because sometimes a smaller house isn't an option. The payment difference between a 1500sq ft house and a 1200sq ft house won't be big enough to justify the loss of a bedroom, for instance.

When you get a family, your drive to provide for them (Unless you're a a thug) goes up and you want to make sure they have everything they need and sometimes want. If you ever see guys in prehospital EMS, you will notice a lot of them work up to three jobs. THe pay sucks balls in EMS, but they love the job.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I like having a nice car. Being able to go somewhere and not stress on how I'm gonna afford it. Not worry about bill collectors.
Life hasn't always been easy I come from a horrible childhood where we were broke ass poor.
In my twenties I was broke as well but my children did not go without.
I remember scrimping to save 200 bucks so they could have a ps2 for Christmas.
We aren't where we want to be financially yet but we are getting there

There is also being able to afford the better meats and foods. Your title " grass fed beef " it's not cheap

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You work to be financially stable/comfortable but there are those who work themselves to death to make as much as possible. I personally don't understand the second b/c you need to make time to enjoy what you make. You can't take it with you when you pass... the Egyptians tried that and it didn't work.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I totally agree with you, the government and those dumbass citizens who work and contribute should take care of my needs. I want to party, sleep and enjoy my medical herb.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Ok, ok, I will add this. There is a treshold in which the money you make doesn't outweigh the time away from your children or time to even spend the money you make. There is such a thing as over working

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Ok, ok, I will add this. There is a treshold in which the money you make doesn't outweigh the time away from your children or time to even spend the money you make. There is such a thing as over working
I think this is the point the OP was making. . . and I agree.

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
OP sounds like everyone I knew first two years of college.

Once the harsh reality sets in that your life sucks without money, the altruism tends to change.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic