Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

L-Carnitine Good or Bad?

M

macflow

Jan 14, 2014
I've been doing some research and I cant find a clear answer whether or not it is safe? Some say it is awesome and others say it causes heart problems.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
You may have to draw your own conclusions, after all, the key ingredient in Tylenol is the number 1 killer to the liver, but is legal to buy anywhere.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
what's the downside to carnitine?

Bodymekanics

Bodymekanics

Mar 14, 2014
L-carnitine is an amino acid (a building block for proteins) that is naturally produced in the body. Supplements are used to increase L-carnitine levels in people whose natural level of L-carnitine is too low because they have a genetic disorder, are taking certain drugs (valproic acid for seizures), or because they are undergoing a medical procedure (hemodialysis for kidney disease) that uses up the body’s L-carnitine. It is also used as a replacement supplement in strict vegetarians, dieters, and low-weight or premature infants. L-carnitine is used for conditions of the heart and blood vessels including heart-related chest pain, congestive heart failure (CHF), heart complications of a disease called diphtheria, heart attack, leg pain caused by circulation problems (intermittent claudication), and high cholesterol.

As far as it being helpful or benificial at all for athletic performance or for overall fat reduction(as it is commonly marketed) there is little to no evidence to support any of this. Not much is known about L-carnitine when it comes to this area and there are no clear studies, findings, or scientific research really being done on this subject up to this point that I know of.

When it comes to side effects it has been shown to cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, heartburn, diarrhea, and seizures. It can also cause the urine, breath, and sweat to have a “fishy” odor. It also may make symptoms of hypothyroidism worse and has been shown, in a few cases, to increase the chance of seizures in those that have already experienced seizures in the past.

Thyroid hormone seems to interact with L-carintine in a negative way which makes the thyroid hormone less effective in the body than it would normally be. Also, it has been shown to interact in a positive manner with the drugs warfarin and acenocoumarol in which it helps the effectiveness of these drugs in slowing down the clotting of blood. However, you can imagine why if the the blood is slowed from clotting too much; this can create an issue.

That is all I know of L-carintine so I, personally, do not use it. Not really for any of these reasons other than there is nothing positive enough on it for me to justify spending money on it.It still requires much more definitive research before it is really known to be advantageous to the average, healthy consumer.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic