Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Begining treatment to rehabilitate my Knees

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Yesterday I took the first step toward a promising resolve for a nagging knee issue I've had for years now. When I bend my knees, they grind and crackle under the knee cap. Under normal strain they are ok, but with extra stress, they burn and become extremely painful. Squats have been all but impossible for me lately but at least leg press is tolerable during the exercise, it's the aftermath that puts me out of commission.

Resolve: My Trainer has been telling me I need to get my InterTibial to release because its pulling the knee cap out of position. Although I've been foam rolling, I'm not getting deep enough to get the IT to stretch and release tension. He also sent me a video on a technique known as FST stretching and I went to searching.

Unbeknownst to me, my chiropractor does some of those techniques to elevate that condition. He also inspected my knee (he is the official chiro for a BIG 12 football and basketball team and worked as an assistant with many orthopedic surgeons) and through tests confirmed that my meniscus is fine, but I have calcium buildup on the underside of the kneecap. Possibly due to injuries, but I also have visible calcium deposits in my lower legs.

Anywho, yesterday we started some treatment. The first if which hurt like a bitch in heat! Scraping the IT band with a metal instrument for 10 minutes which he said was the equivalent of 5 deep tissue massages. Picture attached! After it was over I felt a lot better when bending my right knee. Still have to eat away at the calcium deposits so he told me what to get for that but I haven't picked it up yet. When I do I'll update info. Said about 5-6 months on the calcium to go away.

Going forward is gonna be more scraping, and ART (active release therapy) along with deeper foam rolling. I can't pussy out of the foam rolling on the IT and I have been. It hurts to roll but the alternative is much worse.

Posting this in case anyone else needs help. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393675271.655097.jpg

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Most people foam roll incorrectly so make sure you're not just rolling back and forth quickly.

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
That's what I've done with the IT band cause it hurts so dang bad. I just gotta man up and do it right. Its gonna hurt but be much better in the long run. The chiro showed me a better position to get in for IT.

O

ownthefightkdw

Mar 1, 2014
Be sure to drink plenty of fluids post ART to release the lactic acid. Ktaping will help any bruising. I'm aggressively treated w/various ART tools (there are 3 big names/styles out there) and well as various self-mayofasial release responsibilities. Happy to share my tools of recovery hurts so good torture bliss.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Sound like what I have chondromalacia pattella. I was told to bring up my vmo to help stabilize my knee cap.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The scraping with the metal implement is called Graston Technique. Looks like he needs some more training. He took it waaaaay to far. You should have some redness and red blotches but never bruising. The point is to bring it blood flow and help break up scar tissue. Not damage the muscle to the point where it now needs to heal. Some voodoo floss on the thighs would help as well.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Ice baths would also help circulate new blood into the area and aid in healing.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
vastusmedialis.jpgThe small tear drop inner leg

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Oh I was thinking supplement. That muscle is pretty dominant on my from years of Bicycling. but it definitely could be weak now.

POB - I looked up the voodoo flossing and have bands on the way. Hoping they come with some instructions cause what I found on youtube wasn't the greatest. I'm contemplating the Supple Leopard book, but I'd rather watch videos of how to do it than read a bunch of crap. I don't care about the history and theory so much as, Does it work and how do I start. LOL

H

heavy hitter

Oct 7, 2013
check out mobilitywod.com and search around through the free vids

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic