Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Hypo from BCAA?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I like to sip on my USP Modern BCAA when I train. Sometimes though if I am not eating poptarts with it I will go hypo. It's definitely hypo. I've used slin and I know what it feels like. Sweating, hot, sleepy, weak and like my brain is on vacation. What the hell is causing that? We don't go hypo from eating a steak without carbs, so why when you use BCAA's? I've taken to adding maltodextrin to it just to stop it from happening.

MCSS13

MCSS13

VIP Member
Oct 7, 2012
i think it might be the leucine in it causing a insulin spike.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I like to sip on my USP Modern BCAA when I train. Sometimes though if I am not eating poptarts with it I will go hypo. It's definitely hypo. I've used slin and I know what it feels like. Sweating, hot, sleepy, weak and like my brain is on vacation. What the hell is causing that? We don't go hypo from eating a steak without carbs, so why when you use BCAA's? I've taken to adding maltodextrin to it just to stop it from happening.

Yes POB. Leucine can have as large impact on insulin release.

Here is some info about taking it with carbs:

When taken with high GI carbs, leucine provides a synergistic insulin release that's equivalent to around 2IU's (!!!!!) of exogenous insulin (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19013300).

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Great link Mac. I just learned of this last year and was very surprised by that info.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
That's messed up Mac... There should be a damn warning on that stuff about that.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I used to take Leucine pre and post workout. Its recommended during a Keto diet for insulin reasons.

Your BCAA drink has Leucine in it ?

How is the taste ?

rumbletumble

rumbletumble

Feb 25, 2012
I put 20 grams of Leucine in my post-workout shake, no problems here. rt...

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
That's strange to me considering bcaas can convert to glucose. Interesting indeed.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I used to take Leucine pre and post workout. Its recommended during a Keto diet for insulin reasons.

Your BCAA drink has Leucine in it ?

How is the taste ?

Modern BCAA is the bomb

gunrunner

gunrunner

Jul 24, 2013
Add a little glycofuse to your BCAA to feed the insulin spike.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic