Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400

bench press grip width?

Bionixx

Bionixx

MuscleHead
Dec 6, 2011
I've always put index or middle finger on the bar rings. I work out buddy that is the same height and similar bone structure grips it more narrow with pinky with in rings.

I always to that inclines then declined with decline slightly more than incline and some times with 3 chips 6-8 times/

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Whatever is comfortable for you. Wider grip is typically more chest and less tricep but the truth is, it's all in your head. If you push your hands inward towards each other like a fly, this will also activate the chest. Pushing the hands outward will activate the tris. (This is strictly BBing advice. PLing may be different.)

F

flpl88

May 31, 2013
My best lifts came from middle finger around the ring. After a pec tear and a shoulder issue now I grip a thumbs length from the knurling of the bar. Can't go wide anymore without feeling vulnerable to injury. I had a lot more power going wide, but I do train with a guy that can put up 420 @ 198 with a close grip

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
KK and other very well known PLers use a narrower grip.

Like what has already been said... wider grips put A LOT of strain on the shoulder girdle.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It depends on where you're the strongest....

I'm a SHW and very tall. I'll either bench with 1st or middle fingers on the rings.
I have a teammate who benches around the same as I do raw ( mid 500s) but more than I do in the shirt ( his 830 at 220 to my 750).... and he is always 1st finger or thumb webbing on the rings. Even wider than my grip.

It's more than just bone structure, it's also limb length, arch, your groove, and where your physical strengths are.

work up to a weight that you can just barely double or triple and do a few singles with it, varying your grip width a little each time. It should give you a good idea of where your body wants to be.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
How hard you tuck your elbows in will cause this to vary. Two guys with all things being equal except for the angle of their elbows - one tucks all the way and the other flares out throughout the movement. The guy tucking will need a more narrow grip.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you have shoulder issues, widening your grip will not make it feel any better in fact it'll feel worse. I'm 6'2, have shoulder issuses, and narrowing my grip a little bit has made a noticeable difference. Tucking my elbows and working on a bigger arch has also helped with my shoulders.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
I prefer about a 45 degree arm flare, and elbows directly below wrist in the bottom position.

Regarding the shoulder issues. First check if the rotator cuff is firing as it should (external and internal rotation is weak?). If they're ok, a common problem is lacking external rotation (subscapularis needs stretching). If the IR is problem, weakness in subscap is often seen, opposed to ER. Sleep stretch and rotator cuff work will usually make a difference.

Wider flare will require more available ER.

Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
I go ring finger on the rings.mi am 6'4" with good length arms. This feels the most comfortable to me.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Have you guys ever seen a variation for this with gender? I'm 62", with "short" arms, and Steve regularly tells me that I have a more narrow grip vs some of my counterparts; just curious if it's me versus a female/male thing.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
My old lady always takes a somewhat narrow grip as well. I think it's because her triceps are stronger than her chest.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic