Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

had a GPC comp today, was this a fail lift?

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
So went for 210kg on my 3rd attempt, so that if I got it I could have an attempt at the record which was 220kg in my class. Do you guys think it was a fail lift? My ass did not leave the bench contrary to what people might say and I couldnt hold it any longer as the rack command was not called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HihSxw9QK9A&feature=youtu.be

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I'm sorry, damn near impossible to tell from that perspective but it looks like you may have come off for a split second.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It wasn't your butt leaving the pad. But as for that, its why you wear a singlet and not pants in a meet so they can clearly see whats going on.

You didn't wait for a rack command. And you didn't get the rack command because the bar was waving around in your hands. Your right arm locked after your left. These are signs you aren't in control. The judge won't give a rack command until you show complete control over the bar. Its a close call but that's powerlifting. Lifts get taken away sometimes.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I got to start turning the sound on when I watch videos.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
It wasn't your butt leaving the pad. But as for that, its why you wear a singlet and not pants in a meet so they can clearly see whats going on.

You didn't wait for a rack command. And you didn't get the rack command because the bar was waving around in your hands. Your right arm locked after your left. These are signs you aren't in control. The judge won't give a rack command until you show complete control over the bar. Its a close call but that's powerlifting. Lifts get taken away sometimes.

I know, the people there said you didnt have to wear a singlet and could wear them so I did haha

**** off bench is fair enough, I didnt actually think I did completely though

the fed was GPC/WPC

as for the rack command he didnt say it normally he says it immediately and he didnt at all, I couldnt hold the bar any longer.

That does sound fair though Pillars, was just a bit annoyed since people who the judges lifts got away with shocking lifts, one lad in my class couldnt get it up literally, the judge shouted rack and indicated quickly to the spotters to pick up the bar from the half locked out position and gave a good lift for a new irish record. pretty sure he was way over the weight too, just sickened by how corrupt it was I will not be competing in GPC Ireland again

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
Looked like there were several small issues with the lift to be honest..

You def came off the bench,and you def. didn't have what a judge would call control at the very top and racked pre-mature. When you racked you even came more off the bench making it look worse then it actually was.

I feel like you wasted a ton of energy coming down with it, seemed a little too slow on the way down.

Not insulting you, just being honest. Mind you, I have not only had lifts not count for the same reason, but I have lost 1st place on more then one occasion for not pausing long enough at lock out and having the winning lift called off...so I speak from experience. Especially when you can just barely get a weight, you wanna get rid of it and quick :)

It sucks how you can be out of your groove 1/2 an inch and totally screw up a lift you get normally. At least you know you are right there. Make your adjustments and come back and hit it next time :) Nice work man either way!! :)

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Looked like there were several small issues with the lift to be honest..

You def came off the bench,and you def. didn't have what a judge would call control at the very top and racked pre-mature. When you racked you even came more off the bench making it look worse then it actually was.

I feel like you wasted a ton of energy coming down with it, seemed a little too slow on the way down.

Not insulting you, just being honest. Mind you, I have not only had lifts not count for the same reason, but I have lost 1st place on more then one occasion for not pausing long enough at lock out and having the winning lift called off...so I speak from experience. Especially when you can just barely get a weight, you wanna get rid of it and quick :)

It sucks how you can be out of your groove 1/2 an inch and totally screw up a lift you get normally. At least you know you are right there. Make your adjustments and come back and hit it next time :) Nice work man either way!! :)

thanks for the kind words and advice man!

Yep well the other federation ion this county, the IPO is having their bench nationals on in 2 weeks from today, so I will travel to the west coast of the country and try redeem myself at that!

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Yep; no rack command because it didn't look like your right arm was locked out.

Still a monster lift, bro.

Amazed at no singlet though....

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I'm surprised that a WPC event would allow someone to lift without a singlet. When I won at one of their world champs I saw a guy red lighted for having too thick of a belt. They were equipment nazis for sure.

As for the lift - good job using some speed to touch. Form looked okay, but your foot placement could be improved - and this may be part of why your butt MAY have lifted. Try setting your feet up a little farther out and down ( away from your head as you lie on the bench) When you drove your legs you lifted your butt while setting up ( legal to do) but this may, MAY, have also happened on the press.

As for the red lights, giving you the benefit of the doubt about your butt not lifting. I'd say it was the lock out. Watch the press carefully. You can have a slightly uneven lockout and not get called for it, but your left arm locks, then unlocks then locks again as your right arm locks and as soon as they are both locked you threw it in to the racks. Either the lock/unlock got reds or the judge was just waiting for it to be motionless before a rack call and it never was.

A lot of guys have that panic response of going back in to the racks when they feel a little off. That's why I was advised from not one, but two 900+ bench pressers to hold every training rep for a 3 count before racking it.

So, I'm not hating on your lift. You looked strong and I don't doubt that you'll break that record. I'm curious to know though, why you felt that you could not hold it any longer?

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
yep so was I, but when I found out I didnt have to wear it I didnt ha. and ye Ive seen that too, also one guy got red lighted because there wasnt enough of a gap between his socks and his knee sleeves he was using instead of wraps.

thanks a lot porky great advice as usual and very helpful! I will have to work on foot placement for sure, that and my arch!
I will be sure to do that from now on that's a great tip.

I couldnt hold it any longer because I think I was out of breathe...all I remember is I panicked I couldnt hold it anymore and racked it!

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Feds are so different with judging. Hence why it is always good to know the rules and even get a good scouting report how judging is. Some feds judge loosely and seem to be more concerned with numbers. A few things I noticed was your butt came up a bit. Your ascent was a bit uneven and the judge likely was looking not only at your lockout, but also at control. You teetered a bit and he likely wanted to ensure a good lockout and control of the weight. Meets are learning experiences to learn from. My buddy has lifted in the APF, UPA, SPF and USPF. He went out to LA Fit Expo and was redlighted twice for his squat depth. He assured me that both would have passed in the other feds he has competed in. He asked Steve Denison about his interpretation of depth. Steve defined depth as being able to put a drop of water on your knee and having it slowly slide down your quad toward your hip. Chalk it up as a learning experience and something I always keep in mind, I make my training (hitting depth/pauses and etc) more difficult than what I perceive my contest will be like. That way, there should be no doubt that my lifts will pass.

M

MJR

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think it would of counted based on your not wearing a singlet. It must be worn for your lift to count... Strong lift you fought hard but I'm going to say you did not show control wich I why you hit no rack command. Good shit tho. Put on your damn singlet

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic