Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

The Old Geezer's thread

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
I figured being VIP Pops I would get this party started. I will 57 in May and have been training for 37 years. I competed for 14 years in Powerlifting but switched to Bodybuilding about 4 years ago due to tearing off both shoulders. I have been on gear the last 3.5 years and it has changed my life. I have made more progress in the 3.5 years than the other 33.5 combined. I now do all my training with higher reps ( 8-50) sometimes even 100 and do a lot of drop sets, supersets and super slow reps. I would like to hear what you other elder statesman have done in altering your training to adjust to getting older. I know if nothing else I train a lot smarter now than I used to. Ken

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
Well well well, my dear friend KB! Arms looking jacked Pops. Good on you.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
KB:

I am 48 and have been lifting weights on and off since I was about 15 years old, so that's 33 years for me. I got serious when I turned 30, and bulked up over 10 years on a permabulk. Then I got injured and took some time off. I started up in 2009 at 43 years old, fat and out of shape, and have done everything to avoid injury this time. When something starts to bother, I take care of it, instead of ignoring it. My No 1 priority is to not get injured, and so far (knock on wood) nothing major has happened.

I started gear about 2 years ago, and like you have made better progress in the time since, than in all the years before. I have been alternating bulking with cutting, and am getting bigger and leaner than I have ever been. It helps that I hired a trainer and got my exercise and diet right, but the gear is definitely a major factor.

Lately, I am feeling stronger than ever, and don't have any chronic pain, except a little tightness in my hips and lower back, that is going away with some stretches.

So I say, here's to the next 33 years of lifting, may they be as good as the last two.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I'm 43 with 25yrs of gym time (30 if you count my PAL Boxing days). Like Ken I came from a PL/Strength background and just began bodybuilding in earnest 2yrs ago. I put my deadlift before my safety and hitched 600 when I shoulda let it go. Couldn't extend out over midline without pain for almost a year. Turned to bodybuilding for safety. I'm that dick who used to make fun of the guys with the shaved arms and all the primping, now I'm 20wks out from my first show as a NPC Middleweight. I gave up about 30lbs of "power" and walk around at or below 200lbs now (5'8").

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
I figured being VIP Pops I would get this party started. I will 57 in May and have been training for 37 years. I competed for 14 years in Powerlifting but switched to Bodybuilding about 4 years ago due to tearing off both shoulders. I have been on gear the last 3.5 years and it has changed my life. I have made more progress in the 3.5 years than the other 33.5 combined. I now do all my training with higher reps ( 8-50) sometimes even 100 and do a lot of drop sets, supersets and super slow reps. I would like to hear what you other elder statesman have done in altering your training to adjust to getting older. I know if nothing else I train a lot smarter now than I used to. Ken

bro you pretty much covered what older guys should do. I'm 53 and have had a few injuries to deal with in the last few years the most serious being a herniated disk in my neck / umbilical hernia being the easier injury .... then the rot cuffs tweak on occasion.

With the tendons or rotator cuffs it's important to recognize when you need to back off a bit and what lift causes the issue. If I feel a cuff tweak or tendon getting sore I'll back off for a few days ice and anti inflammatory med. Within a few days I'm good and back at it but keeping in mind what caused the issue. I'll cycle that lift only using it once every 3 or 4 times working that body part.

Train smart
recognize your injury tendencies
more recovery time then when you're younger
higher reps with low heavy reps less often (but still needed to help make gains)
test and trt are key
DIET

Last edited:
kov

kov

Feb 6, 2014
Played rugby serious rugby before the days it became professional, just my damn luck. Then broke my right leg in three places and in one swift move my career over. so I got told that's it no more exercise. No one tells me that. So got into bodybuilding about 15 years ago and it became a drug. Got to 300 pounds when bulked up and was raining with a couple of Mr Strongman competitors.

Then moved countries and speed for quite a few years and all the old injuries started to hurt. So of to gym it has been for the last couple of months and loving it. 53 this year and weighing in at 265 this morning art 6ft4. Going to try and get to 290.

Train a lot smarter nie and listen to my body a lot more. Try and do each exercise strictly as possible. The good thing which is funny the tying guys at the gym always body adj me for spots as I'm lifting more than half the people at the gym so it makes me feel good.

One problem I have is lower back struggle going all the way down with dead lift. Using hate doing arms but love doing back shoulders and chest. After leg workout that's me for two days out of action lol.

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
I'm in... I'm 53...
Started to lift 4 years ago competed some in masters BB'ing.
2014 I'm changing up my goal, joined USATF and will be running the short sprints and Long Jump.

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
Ken, you know this old dude but some dont so here goes a little background.

44 and started lifting in high school as a wrestler. Senior yr won state at 160. Joined the Navy and got serious bout some weights when I met a cpl guys on my submarine that were friggin monsters. Started first real cycles of gear almost 25yrs ago now. Competed for a few years in my mid 20's and got strong as hell back then. So all in all I have competed 8 times, emcee'd a show, and have judged a show. Old training partner for many years is IFBB pro and competes in the O. Broke my back several years ago and 13 months later broke my neck. Was told I wouldn't ever lift again or do a lot of things. Well **** that, today I am back at it and having more fun than ever. 5'8" and 212lbs today 12-13%. (was 222 a few weeks ago) cutting now and training for Tough Mudder in June. I train much smarter today than ever because of the old injuries though. Form is so much more important for me than what I can put up anymore. so I focus intensely on proper form and perfect reps. side note, still have an ego so every once in awhile ya gotta know where u are. Benched 365 for 5 just last month. not great, but ok for an old ****er. Short version here, 28 yrs lifting now and almost 25 using gear. Been on trt or a blast for about past 4 yrs straight.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
We got a lot of boss ass older guys on this board. Definitely makes TID unique and gives us younger guys a complete different knowledge and experience to learn from. Love having all you guys around, even some of us youngins that think we know it all, really don't and learn a lot from you guys. My hats off to all of you for hitting so hard over the years, pushing through some severe injuries, and literally living and loving this lifestyle. That's what it's all about. Cheers guys

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
This is going to be good......another thing I have found the older I get is the less various foods agree with me. Every 5 years or so my diet has to be even stricter. Luckily my wife is an incredible cook and really knows how to spice food up. Another thing is less is more in the gym, I now train very intense, very quick, very little rest periods and never longer than an hour in the gym. I only take orals for short cycles and only pre-workout. So right now I am running T-bol I run 60mg pre-workout 5 days a week. I run 250mg pharma test at ALL times. I might jack it up for a while but there is always at least 250mg pharma test every week all year. I weave the anabolics in and out on top of the Test. Right now it's Tren/Mast after that it will be Primo and then EQ again. I no longer care about getting any bigger so I rarely mess with Deca,NPP or A-bombs. D-bol once a year and Winny ( even though my joints hate it) once or twice a year. When I can afford it pharma GH usually Seros 5on 2off at 2-4iu. As far as supplements go I only take a multi, fish oil and saw palmetto. Whey protein mixed with non fat greek yogurt twice a day. I will add more as I think of it. Ken

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
This is going to be good......another thing I have found the older I get is the less various foods agree with me. Every 5 years or so my diet has to be even stricter. Luckily my wife is an incredible cook and really knows how to spice food up. Another thing is less is more in the gym, I now train very intense, very quick, very little rest periods and never longer than an hour in the gym. I only take orals for short cycles and only pre-workout. So right now I am running T-bol I run 60mg pre-workout 5 days a week. I run 250mg pharma test at ALL times. I might jack it up for a while but there is always at least 250mg pharma test every week all year. I weave the anabolics in and out on top of the Test. Right now it's Tren/Mast after that it will be Primo and then EQ again. I no longer care about getting any bigger so I rarely mess with Deca,NPP or A-bombs. D-bol once a year and Winny ( even though my joints hate it) once or twice a year. When I can afford it pharma GH usually Seros 5on 2off at 2-4iu. As far as supplements go I only take a multi, fish oil and saw palmetto. Whey protein mixed with non fat greek yogurt twice a day. I will add more as I think of it. Ken

the last couple years I've run Var @ low dose 40mg from march or April until September. Half the year. I've had lab work done each year and lipids results are stellar (as they always have been for me [genetics?]) as well as liver values in the normal to high normal range. It's made it easier to keep belly fat to a minimum as well as being hard as a rock and very cut. 2 years ago I ran peptides ie ghrp 2 / 6 or ipam all year round and really had a high fitness level. I'm going back to that this year with the var. I find var to be very mild comparatively. dbol and the others are not in the mix for me although I'll run tbol once in a while...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic