Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Slow Weak and Stupid

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
So, 2014 is here and it's about time to start a log. Thanks to Uphillclimb for the encouragement.
About me. I am 38 and have been lifting one way or another for well over 20 years. I started as a weakling teenager with a few weights in my parents basement and I have come full circle as a weakling middle aged adult in my own basement. I have dabbled in all or most of the strength sports over years. I was at my biggest/ strongest about 12 years ago. Now I train because I love it and I have kids and I need to be able to kick their ass as they grow up.
I have been dealing with some spine issues that severely limit my strength but I am determined to overcome it. Keep that in mind as you giggle at the 12 year old girl weights that I use. My issues may be correctable, but would require multiple surgeries and probably cost me my job.
I work at a high stress/low pay job that requires me to maintain physical fitness levels beyond your average couch potato. This plays into my ability to recover sometimes.
I currently train 5,3,1 mostly. This year I will be emphasizing the squat as it is my weakest and my favorite. So I will be doing mini squat cycles Texas style within my 5,3,1.
Today;
I ran a little bit with the dog
Squat 5x5 with 165
Bench 175x 5, 200x 5, 225x 4,2
This does not include my extensive warmup or accessory movements.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Good deal running a journal man. I lurk more than I post in the journals but I'll chime in when I think I can help.

Good luck with your lifting in 2014.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Good deal running a journal man. I lurk more than I post in the journals but I'll chime in when I think I can help.

Good luck with your lifting in 2014.

^^^what he said! Good luck brother

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Good luck monsoon... I'm in.

A

AorgeMlter

Nov 7, 2013
Back and Arms on the 13th All caught up now.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Good luck with your new journey Bro. When I was your age (still a youngster) I thought my best days were behind me. Fastforward 10 years, and I have been hitting all new PR's. If you can work past those injuries of yours, you will be surprised at what your aging body can accomplish! I promise. Scout's Honor. Ww.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Thanks everyone. Reading some of the other journals and posts, I am obviously in good company. Many of you have and are fighting through worse. I feel like a pansy.
A word about diet and cardio;
About two months ago I had a blood test for allergies that showed a lot of food allergies. As a result, I no longer eat wheat and a bunch of other stuff. I eat lots of meat, beef, pork, chicken and get most of my carbs from rice and veggies. I don't really count calories or macros, if I did, I would probably find that I don't eat enough most days. I will occasionally go 24- 36 hours without a meal due to circumstances. For sups, I use protein powder usually twice a day, fish oil, assorted vitamins and a sleep stack from true protein.
My cardio consists of walking the dog at least daily, sometimes twice. I also run occasionally anywhere from 1 to 5 miles. I also get in some loaded carries and long hikes at work on occasion. I also do some fighting/combat training.
Right now my weight is in the upper 180s I have been 236 with rough 4 abs, but that was a long time ago. I have also been 4 percent bf also a long time ago.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Dead 195x3, 225x3, 245x3 upper right hamstring really bothering me. I did full warm up but did not do GHR.
OHP 120 5x5
Squat 140x5,5
If the hammy feels ok on Friday I am going to do a heavy 5 on squat and then joker set.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
You're gonna kick ass monsoon! Life happens and its our ability to overcome that sets us apart from the norm. I'm a little younger than you but can definitely relate, keep kicking ass and taking names before ya know it youre gonna have a long list! Good luck brother!

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Just carry on such is life . Bodybuilding and life are same you just keep trying. We all have trials and obstacles you are no different - I'm 48 many set backs spine surgery both lower and neck , desert storm vet I seen it all, put myself through college MSW , CSCS , work a shitty ass job very stressful - but ya get though and make no excuses. Every one has their story - the greatest warrior is one who conquers himself

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Get your diet right, bro, and everything else will get a lot easier.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 4 members watching this topic

, , Yano ,