Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Training: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

brooknichole15

brooknichole15

TID Lady Member
Dec 5, 2012
I am considering a different approach to my Spring training schedule. I have been a "gym-rat" for the past few years and love being in the free weight dungeon. I used to run more often than anything else. I would like to run a half marathon in May, but I don't want to lose (most of) the hard earned muscle I have and I would like to lean out.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Sounds like fun.

I have tons of respect for marathon runners.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I am considering a different approach to my Spring training schedule. I have been a "gym-rat" for the past few years and love being in the free weight dungeon. I used to run more often than anything else. I would like to run a half marathon in May, but I don't want to lose (most of) the hard earned muscle I have and I would like to lean out.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Welcome,
There are plenty of ladies that can help with the leaning out process to reach your goals. I don't think you should be concerned about losing much muscle if your training for a half. Most of your practice runs are in the 4-6 mile early on so depending in your pace its like and hour of cardio. Keep your speed to a nice jog where you can still hold a conversation with someone and you'll be right in the fat burning window.

Good luck.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I will be interested to see how balancing these works for you. I suppose some people can train their bodies to run those distances and also keep their mass and strength up at the same time, but I cannot. On the other hand I can definitely see you leaning out by doing it if that is your goal. Please keep this journal going and keep us posted as you progress. Should be interesting for us to watch what happens.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I will be interested to see how balancing these works for you. I suppose some people can train their bodies to run those distances and also keep their mass and strength up at the same time, but I cannot. On the other hand I can definitely see you leaning out by doing it if that is your goal. Please keep this journal going and keep us posted as you progress. Should be interesting for us to watch what happens.

Based on your avatar running is not going to be good for you! Lol

Respect.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I'm a bit confused on what you are saying.

You want to run a half marathon and lean out but don't want to lose muscle.

You know that it is inevitable that you will lose muscle if you are training to run a marathon...You say that you "used" to run more than anything. Did you stop running to weight train and build?

True marathon runners will never hold muscle...sprinters on the other hand are a different story.

I would say if you want to keep your gains and long distance run, you are going to have to somehow balance your diet of eating more to maintain your muscle. The running alone will lean you out.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I'm a bit confused on what you are saying.

You want to run a half marathon and lean out but don't want to lose muscle.

You know that it is inevitable that you will lose muscle if you are training to run a marathon...You say that you "used" to run more than anything. Did you stop running to weight train and build?

True marathon runners will never hold muscle...sprinters on the other hand are a different story.

I would say if you want to keep your gains and long distance run, you are going to have to somehow balance your diet of eating more to maintain your muscle. The running alone will lean you out.

^^^^^^^^^^
What she said! :)

brooknichole15

brooknichole15

TID Lady Member
Dec 5, 2012
Thanks for the replies and thoughts. I know I will be losing some muscle, but it's not like I am trying to be competitive for a half marathon or jump on stage again any time soon. I just need a change of scene for my fitness--- focus on a new and different goal. I am very disciplined if I have something to work for-- diet included. BUT, when I don't have that, I feel lost and get somewhat "relaxed" in training. It's a sad but true truth & that's why I'm looking to switch some things up. I am in the process of planning my diet and exercise regime now. Once I get everything together I would love suggestions on that stuff too. Thanks for the support TID, let's see what this crazy girl can do!!

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for the replies and thoughts. I know I will be losing some muscle, but it's not like I am trying to be competitive for a half marathon or jump on stage again any time soon. I just need a change of scene for my fitness--- focus on a new and different goal. I am very disciplined if I have something to work for-- diet included. BUT, when I don't have that, I feel lost and get somewhat "relaxed" in training. It's a sad but true truth & that's why I'm looking to switch some things up. I am in the process of planning my diet and exercise regime now. Once I get everything together I would love suggestions on that stuff too. Thanks for the support TID, let's see what this crazy girl can do!!

I know what you mean regarding goals. So go crazy girl, go!! lol.

brooknichole15

brooknichole15

TID Lady Member
Dec 5, 2012
So this past week has been an introduction to training for me:

Monday:
Ran 1 mile
Shoulders and biceps
DB OHP 20's x 10 x 3 sets
Biceps curls DB 20's x 10 x 3 sets
Cable front raise 7.5 x 10 x 3 sets
Biceps cables (Hercules) 10 x 12 x 3
Cable Face pulls 32.5 x 12 x 3 sets
Biceps rope-cable 25 x 12 x 3 sets
Land mine press bar + 10x 10x3 sets
Ran 1 mile

Tuesday:
Taught a "Power Hour" Strength/Cardio class with active participation

Ran 1 mile
Then did a chest/tri circuit:
DB Bench 35's x 12 x 3 sets
Push-ups (10) superset with Triceps press downs on cable (30x12 reps) & stairclimber sprints (1 minute) x 3 sets
Cable Fly (40x12x3 sets), superset with single arm reverse grip cable press down (20x15x3 sets)

Wednesday:
The gym was closed, so my girlfriend and I ran 1.5 miles and walked for an additional 20 minutes before stretching.

I'm actually excited about training right now and getting everything in order. Next week I will start posting my meal POA in addition to my workouts.

Happy Training!

brooknichole15

brooknichole15

TID Lady Member
Dec 5, 2012
Today was full of quick passed circuit work. My hammies were tighter than banjo strings, so I done a lot of stretching and warming up first, then two rounds of the following:

1 track lap <45 sec
Rower 200m
Clean & Press 65#X10
Med ball slam 15# x 15
Bosu Burpee 15
Triceps press down 45# x 20
Goblet Squat 25#kb x 15
Sledge Hits 15 e/s
Tire Box Jumps 15
Viper Slide 10
Triceps Dips 15

brooknichole15

brooknichole15

TID Lady Member
Dec 5, 2012
I know I said I would post my nutrition starting next week, BUT I needed to put my imperfect diet out today... Don't worry, I know all these things are not great and that's why I needed to do it..

I work third shift Tuesday through Friday and first shift on Saturday, so that's why I have extra coffee with yogurt & light butter popcorn (which I know is shit haha) basically I need to stay awake longer so I can sleep tonight.

1:
2eggs/1 white
.5c peppers, onions, spinach
.5 c oats
2 tbsp light syrup & cinnamon
Coffee

2:
S Apple
.5 c Cottage cheese
1 oz almonds

3:
4 oz lean beef
.3 c brown rice
Peppers/Onions

4:
8 oz usv almond milk
1 scoop whey
Rice cake

5:
3 oz chicken
Stir fry veggies
.5 grapefruit

6:
Coffee
Greek Yogurt
Light Butter Popcorn

Supplements:
2 fish oil
1 multivitamin
1 green tea pill
B6

As far as my workout goes, I taught an "Ab Attack" class at 3:40am haha I know that sounds odd, but the second shifters enjoy it.

Then, when I got off work, I went to our indoor track to do a Tabata style workout with my gym boss interval
Timer (app on my phone) with 20 seconds on/10 seconds off. The exercises included:
Jumping Jacks
Reverse Standing Lunges, alternating
Line Hops, moving
Push-ups
Line scissors, moving
Pop Squats
Power Skips, alternating
Burpees

After 3 rounds, I decided to get on the arc trainer for 30 second "sprints"/30 seconds active rest for 20 minutes. I stretched it out & called it a day!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic