Kiddorism
What's New?

Amazing facts on HGH (study)

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
Body composition response to exogenous GH in highly conditioned adults
STUDY, demonstrating positive body composition changes in highly trained athletes w/ 2g/kg per day protein intake & 8iu of GH 3x per week (EOD), w/ no other compounds.

NOTE: Protropin 1mg = 3iu or 1iu = 333mcg
EOD dose (3x per week) in the following study: 2.67mg or 8iu
Weekly total dose = 8mg or 24iu

Summary results:
FFW = fat free Weight
FW = fat Weight

The weight results are in Kilograms not pounds.

186a9fe2d99c00c52579a4a9a8ef3611.jpg

Body composition response to exogenous GH during training in highly conditioned adults, D. M. Crist, J Appl Physiol 65: 579-584, 1988

Intro:

The effects of biosynthetic methionyl-human growth hormone (met-hGH) on body composition and endogenous secretion of growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) were studied in eight well-trained exercising adults between 22 and 33 yr of age for 6 weeks.

Dosing & Administration:

The met-hGH (experimental) treatment consisted of 8.0 mg (2 U/mg) per week of methGH (Protropin; Genentech, San Francisco, CA), which was divided into three doses (2.67 mg/dose) and delivered on alternate days (3 days/wk) in 0.5 ml of bacteriostatic diluent. Because of differences in the body weights of the subjects, the relative dose range varied between 0.03 and 0.05 mg/kg per injection. Injections were given between 0800 and 1500, and their delivery was rotated among four to six sites throughout the study period. Treatments were administered on a double-blind basis with neither the experimental subject nor the person administering the injections knowing which treatment was being delivered. The total weekly dose of met-hGH used in this study (8.0 mg) was considered supraphysiological, since the spontaneous release of human GH during a 24-h period is purportedly -0.68 mg (4.8 mg/wk) in men and 0.79 mg (5.5 mg/wk) in women (30), similar to amounts reported by others (6).

CONCLUSION

In the present study, we found that alternate-day treatment with met-hGH altered body composition in highly conditioned, exercising adults by increasing FFW (fat free weight), decreasing %fat, and increasing FFW (fat free weight)/FW (fat weight). These changes were significantly greater than those produced by exercise alone.
Moreover we found that supraphysiological amounts of met-hGH were sufficient to significantly elevate circulating concentrations of IGF-I in all our subjects, confirming that the changes in body composition were indeed due to real alterations produced in vivo by the hormone treatment.

Supression of endogenous GH

It has been reported previously that exogenous GH will suppress endogenous release of the hormone (19,23) and that this effect may be mediated in part by elevated levels of IGF-I (23). On a preliminary basis, we found that treatment for 6 wk with supraphysiological doses of met-hGH produced an impaired endogenous GH response to stimulation in some, but not all, of our subjects. This variable response may be related to the amount of hormone used in the study. Although a significant group elevation in IGF-I levels occurred during the met-hGH treatment, this response was still below the upper limit of normal (2.20 U/ml) for the study group. Thus it is plausible that the treatment dose of met-hGH used and the subsequent moderate increase in IGF-I levels led to feedback suppression of endogenous GH release in five of the seven subjects measured for this effect, whereas these physiological events were insufficient to produce this effect in two of the subjects.

Intense exercise increases sensitivity to GH??

...One possible explanation for the disparity between our findings and those of others (25, 26) is that the stress of long-term, intensive exercise training could induce alterations in vivo, which might potentiate tissue sensitivity to the physiological actions of GH (2). In any case, it is clear from our findings that supraphysiological doses of met-hGH increased circulating concentrations of IGF-I and increased FFW (fat free weight) and decreased FW (fat weight) in highly conditioned, exercising adults.

Soft-tissue Overgrowth?

There are two principal adverse reactions associated with excessive amounts of human GH, carbohydrate intolerance, and soft-tissue overgrowth. In the present study, we measured fasting blood glucose levels periodically throughout each treatment and found no real changes suggestive of a hyperglycemic response to methGH. Because soft-tissue overgrowth is associated with abnormally high levels of IGF-I, the normal responses observed suggest that the chance for soft-tissue overgrowth occurring in our subjects was minimal. However, it is unreasonable to conclude that use of met-hGH is safe as an adjunct to exercise in healthy adults until more subjects are studied over longer periods of time and with more stringent tests for detecting changes in glucose tolerance and soft-tissue overgrowth.

Diet used

To avoid compromising the dietary requirements for optimal tissue anabolism during the met-hGH treatment, our subjects ingested between 2.05 and 2.10 g/kg a day of protein and a minimum number of kilocalories to maintain body weight. The kilocaloric requirement removed the potential bias from a dietary-induced FW loss.

In Conclusion

We conclude that treatment with supraphysiological doses of met-hGH will significantly alter body composition in adults who are highly conditioned from years of exercise training. The magnitude of this effect, however, is dependent in part on the amount of hormone given per body weight of the individual rather than endogenous GH secretory status. Changes in body composition are directly related to met-hGH administration, but the manifestations of treatment may be mediated in part by increased production of IGF-I or other GH-dependent serum anabolic factors. Moreover, supraphysiological treatment with met-hGH in exercising adults may produce impairments in the stimulated release of endogenous GH in some individuals.

The above study is one of those rare studies that is directly applicable to bodybuilding. One to add to your knowledge base.

Things to note:

- GH w/o exogenous anabolics/androgens and w/o insulin increased muscle mass and lowered bodyfat % over 6 weeks.

- The participants were healthy young women & men.

- Participants were highly trained athletes who had no expectation of losing body weight nor gaining bodyweight because these parameters were stable due to their current conditioning.

- The dosing was every other day, only 3x per week.

- The daily dosing was 8iu for a weekly total of 24iu.

- This was sufficient to elevate IGF-1 levels but not to the point where they contributed to soft-tissue growth.

- No soft-tissue growth (such as gut) occurred.

- Protein intake was 2g/kg but diet was maintenance (body recomposition on a maintenance diet).

- IGF-1 was underscored as the primary suppressant of natural GH release and it was at a level where after 6 weeks five of the seven participants had suppressed natural GH release.

- the study's estimation of what the normal level of GH is in men & women is too high because the study was done in 1988 when assays were not sensitive enough to distinguish between GH ligands, GH-binding protein and GH fragments. (This has no effect on the results ...just a note not to rely on their stated estimate in that regard.)

What can you (and I too of course) learn from this, that goes against convention?

"GH is not anabolic w/o insulin" does not mean that you need exogenous insulin.

A sufficient amino acid pool is likely required.

You can both gain muscle & lose fat at a maintenance caloric intake w/ GH & training.

Six weeks is a sufficient amount of time to make positive changes.

You don't need beaucoup amounts of GH!!!!

Last edited:
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks Samson! Good info here.

Would love to know how this might change by dropping the dose 2X and administering every day.

R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
Nice article to clarify some of the conclusion with gh

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
This definitively shows that for HRT purposes, a small amount regularly or even a larger amount less regularly, is sufficient to get the job done.

I can't say whether beau-coup amounts are necessary or not, because I don't know what your goals are. But I know there is definitely additional benefit to beau-coup amounts. Whether or not it is worth it, well, that's a study that will never be done unfortunately. But if they could, then they could let us know exactly where it reaches a point of diminishing returns. Much like with peptides where we know that 100mcg is the sweet spot for other reasons, I'd like to know where GH's sweet spot is for all of the benefits without starting to piss in the wind.

Any thoughts?

TG - I've always wanted to pin 1iu 3x/day with peptides 20min before each dose, but I keep it up for MAYBE two weeks. So tedious, so many sticks, not patient enough. If it could be done right, with that being the only variable, I would love to see how it compares to 3iu before bed.

I have theories that I'd like to try but just don't have the time...................................or 10,000 participants and 250 million dollars.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I was geared up to do that protocol. Needed to test the GH first and it was bunk so I never got to try that run. I think it would work very synergistically.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Peptides and growth absolutely work synergistically, but is the extra sticking and money worth the extra benefit? That's what I'm not patient enough to find out, because it is a long term and easily tampered with experiment.

I

imuscle

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2013
Good read S! I may have to give this protocol a try one day.

Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu

Apr 21, 2013
These findings are supported by my own anecdotal experience. I have been a hard core BBer and martial artist for 37 years. Back when I was competing nearly 20 years ago, GH was neither easy to find, or cheap.

I finally ran some real GH (China blue tops, but tested). 5 weeks after terminating a 12 week gear run (my weight was 218) I started running 5 IUs' a day on a 5/2 schedule. I was getting a lot of hand numbness, so now I just do 3 IUs ed. My weight immediately ran up after gh only, and then I added some test/daca/var in moderated amounts. I weighed 241, I just dropped water and am 228, and much leaner than before. I am also stronger.

In short, GH has worked wonders w/ me. However that does mean it will work as well for everyone. My lab results had my natural GH/IGF-1 levels lower than whale poop. I am 51, and on the 51-64 age group I am below the minimum. What that means is that a younger man, w/ much higher natural levels of GH will not see the results I have gotten.

Also, there is no point in trying to restore the PT, it will never make acceptable amounts of GH. I am on for life. Does anyone think that i should go to 2 iU's, since I am never going off?

B

Bigwhite

MuscleHead
Mar 20, 2013
These findings are supported by my own anecdotal experience. I have been a hard core BBer and martial artist for 37 years. Back when I was competing nearly 20 years ago, GH was neither easy to find, or cheap.

I finally ran some real GH (China blue tops, but tested). 5 weeks after terminating a 12 week gear run (my weight was 218) I started running 5 IUs' a day on a 5/2 schedule. I was getting a lot of hand numbness, so now I just do 3 IUs ed. My weight immediately ran up after gh only, and then I added some test/daca/var in moderated amounts. I weighed 241, I just dropped water and am 228, and much leaner than before. I am also stronger.

In short, GH has worked wonders w/ me. However that does mean it will work as well for everyone. My lab results had my natural GH/IGF-1 levels lower than whale poop. I am 51, and on the 51-64 age group I am below the minimum. What that means is that a younger man, w/ much higher natural levels of GH will not see the results I have gotten.

Also, there is no point in trying to restore the PT, it will never make acceptable amounts of GH. I am on for life. Does anyone think that i should go to 2 iU's, since I am never going off?

You can run ghrp peps for life. Your body still makes the same amount of gh as it always did just releases much less as you get older. The peps will give you a high release of your own gh up to 3 times per day...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic