Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Wickr

Improving

Improving

Dec 10, 2013
Anyone check this out? You set he time you want your text to stay ad the it's go (so the say)

Legit?

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Nut show whit yar tulking aboot.

H

hardpr

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2012
wickr is a smart phone app. Our patent-pending technology brings sophisticated security and privacy to everybody. Wickr’s protocol for ephemeral messaging and media uses standard encryption algorithms (AES256, ECDH521, RSA 4096 &TLS) implemented for mobile devices. This protocol will be integrated into other communications platforms, creating a unified mobile messaging platform that is private, encrypted and anonymous. i have this on my iphone. i believe the sender and reciever must both have the app for it to work. i could be wrong on this.

Improving

Improving

Dec 10, 2013
Yes both parties must have this on their phone. From what I read this is like top of the line safe lol. But you can't believe everything you read. I wanted to see what ppl think that have better knowledge of this stuff

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
WE RENT our phones.....everything is stored somewhere.

Just know that any picture you take or key you hit with your finger is being recorded somewhere.....nothing on your phone is 100% safe.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
He is talking about Wickr the mobile phone app, it's much like seecrypt that I checked out in http://www.theironden.com/forum/threads/17215-seecrypt-(free-secure-app-for-your-smart-phone)

I have to say that I had a look over the Wickr website and I would not trust it. I would not advise it and I do not think it is safe.

I'm on my mobile so don't really have the capability to make the kind of post I should to explain everything but I will type up a bit. It's much like the seecrypt program using AES as encryption however it's got an even worse implementation and privacy policy. The wickr app does advertise a lot of security but in reality it has poor security and a bunch of flashy features. Once again, I would not trust wickr.

Here is their policy on law enforcement:
"Law Enforcement: We will only disclose User-Provided and Automatically Collected Information under these circumstances: When doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, or legal request; to protect the safety of any person; to address fraud, security, or technical issues; or to protect our rights or property. If it is legal and possible for us to do so, we will notify you of any request for your information before we preserve or disclose it, so that you have an opportunity to obtain counsel." Source: https://www.mywickr.com/en/privacypolicy.php

Now try and disguise what they are doing with clever wording but at the basic level, they co-operate with law enforcement. They say only automatically collected data, which could be ANYTHING including your phone details, messages, records, etc as all of this is collected automatically and not manually.

Now a bunch of other things with wickr threw up red flags. The fact that they just delete sensitive files, they do not wipe it. And yes, there is a huge difference. If you delete a file it is still very much able to be recovered and used again while a wiped file will not be recovered under any circumstances. So in short, the messages will remain on your phone and on their servers, completely undermining the security.

They don't sell a secure product, or anything close to it. They sell the illusion of security. Stay away.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
They've updated their website including privacy policy... I'm glad I copied that information out... I will make another post here soon

RebelMuscle666

RebelMuscle666

Sep 9, 2014
It's a good start.

Learn PGP encryption and use it. One I like is GPG 4 USB which runs off of a thumb drive.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic