Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Danielrh's Journal

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Okay, now for the accountability portion. But first, the beginning of this journey from earlier this year. In June I had a physical and the most amazing result came back. My blood glucose was 106 and my cholesterol was considered fair. I have exercised off and on for the past three years so that I would have considered myself relatively healthy so this was a bit of a surprise. I studied up on cholesterol and determined it is really not that bad. I studied up on diabetes and determined that signs were appearing and so cut out the sugar and upped the exercise; mostly cardio with some weight training. Continued research led me to the Paleo diet and I have noticed that even though I am not quite 100% Paleo those pesky fat bags on my sides have mostly gone away. Now, when I did weight training more seriously about three years ago for about 5 months I found I enjoyed it. Unfortunately over time I allowed life to intrude. Back to today and waiting for the latest blood test results I have a renewed interest in weight lifting and hence I am here.

As my profile states, I am 47 and I am not a big person and not real sure my genetics will allow me to really bulk up. But that is not going to stop me from trying and I will use this to track what I am doing and my progress. Also, by posting what I am doing here ya'll will hopefully provide me some guidance. I will gladly take constructive criticism that shows me the path to progress, so give it to me straight. I have some pictures of my scrawny a$$ for the before that I will post shortly and tomorrow I will be able to provide numbers from the gym.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
It will be interesting watching you progress. Please keep us updated

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Looking good for 47 bro. Nice and lean . . . Now lets' see you put on some muscle! :rockon:

I guess I am getting ahead of you there. What are your goals? You wanna put on some muscle?

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
WW, only a bit ahead of me. Yes, the goal is to put on some muscle.

I just ran the math (121 total pounds and 108 lean pounds) for my macros and here is what I have:

Protein 130 g/day
Fat 120 g/day
Carb 100 g/day

Too many carbs and I get sleepy. That comes to about 2000 calories/day. My BMR using the Katch-McArdle method came to 1428 kCal/day. I eat clean, but I do supplement with Vitacost Whey Protein Complex at 1 to 2 servings per day. Fat comes mainly from meat, olive oil, real butter, tree nuts, and sometimes heavy cream. Carbs come from white rice and vegetables; ooking to incorporate sweet potatoes. I try real hard to avoid grains, especially wheat.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Now for an equipment question. The rec center I use does not have a free barbell. They have a smith machine and I find the information for doing squats and dead lifts on it to be conflicting. They do have a curling barbell but I am not so sure about using it to do dead lefts either. Please advise.

Thanks.

Last edited:
sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
Hi Daniel! I have diabetes type 2 mayb through to many carbs not sure really, so its a good idea to keep them low, it looks like you mayb of been on the verge of pre-diabetes, but opinions very abit of what the exact figures are. Around 6 ml to 6.9 ml i believe is the general figure when fasting for around 8 hours most say.

You look a good build to put on muscle, which also helps with insulin production, and is fine to keep diabetes at bay the muscle, and the exercise as well, and a good diet of course.

Good Luck as well! You look a similar build to me when i first started, but bigger arms than i had so a good even structure alround to build on.

Last edited:
D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the encouragement so far guys. Here is what I did today and in the order I am posting it:

Bicycles - Normally do these to warm up

Leg Press - I injured by right glut and calf 3 weeks ago so working with lower weights and higher reps
150x20
170x20x2

Bench Press
155x1 - Wanted to see if I could do.
125x7x2
125x6

Pull Up
BW 17, 10 ,7

Machine Fly
110x8
110x6
110x5

Leg Extension
90x12
100x12
100x9

Dips
BW 35, 16, 12

Okay so that sets a baseline for those. I do plan to break things up and not be all over the place in a single session, but I wanted to get numbers today. Any observations are appreciated.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Dude, I would find a place to work out where they have a free barbell. Smith machines work okay for some things, but I have always found them very limiting. Also, if you get so you are lifting any serious weights, you risk injury using a smith machine because it prevents you from using proper form.

WW, only a bit ahead of me. Yes, the goal is to put on some muscle.

I just ran the math (121 total pounds and 108 lean pounds) for my macros and here is what I have:

Protein 130 g/day
Fat 120 g/day
Carb 100 g/day

Too many carbs and I get sleepy. That comes to about 2000 calories/day. My BMR using the Katch-McArdle method came to 1428 kCal/day. I eat clean, but I do supplement with Vitacost Whey Protein Complex at 1 to 2 servings per day. Fat comes mainly from meat, olive oil, real butter, tree nuts, and sometimes heavy cream. Carbs come from white rice and vegetables; ooking to incorporate sweet potatoes. I try real hard to avoid grains, especially wheat.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Now for an equipment question. The rec center I use does not have a free barbell. They have a smith machine and I find the information for doing squats and dead lifts on it to be conflicting. They do have a curling barbell but I am not so sure about using it to do dead lefts either. Please advise.

Thanks.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Dips
BW 35, 16, 12
That's a lot of dips, damn. Nice. Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read that doing more than 20 or so dips could be bad for the shoulders. You may want to consider investing in a weighted vest which would allow you to lower the reps a bit but still be effective for the triceps. I can do about 20-25 dips with bodyweight, so I've been using a 15lb. vest which has knocked my dips to the 10-15 range (depending on what I've done beforehand). I sometimes throw on a couple sets of 20lb. chains and can rep out about 5-6 on a good day.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the tips, guys. I just got a membership at the Y and a glance through the weight room looked nice but I do not recall a free barbell. Hopefully they do. Having 4 kids makes it tough to get there in the evening. I will def find time on the weekends. I will see what I can find to reduce my reps on dips.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Okay, I got my blood work back. Just the basic stuff was done but here are the numbers that were of concern:

Glucose down from 106 to 94
HDL up from 44 to 60
LDL down from 122 to 109 using Freidewald method (109 to 86 using Iranian Method)
Trigs down from 69 to 53

Work out yesterday was on legs. As something to start with I selected the Kris Gethin plan from Bodybuilding. I won't follow it exactly, but I think I should be able to get a sense of things from it so that I can figure out what works for me. Somehow I messed up using the Bodyspace program and did not get all my numbers in and so had to enter them from memory.

Leg Press:
130x12x2
140x12
150x12
180x20
180x14
180x12

Seated Leg Curl:
50X15
60X15
60x15
60x14
60x12

Leg Extensions:
60x20x2
60x18
60x15

Leg Press (Called for Stack Squats but equipment not available)
130x20x2
130x29
130x24
110x24

Final sets done to failure.

Last edited:
sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
Hi Daniel! Glad your bs is ok! btw that routine looks a lot of sets for a natural trainer, i know they have got me down to about 9 sets for each body part, and best mayb 8 to 10 reps each set, otherwise it is hard for a natural bb to recover.

Still best try it for a while mayb to see how it goes, i know when i first started i just mainly did the main bulk building exercises and gained 7lbs of muscle in the first 6 mths.

I have been reading up on Mike Mentzer although not natural, he trained more like one on a split routine and gained much size.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/heavy-duty-mike-mentzers-most-productive-routine/

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic