Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Pauls Arm Progress Log!

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
Hi All! Mayb you can give me some inspiration to try and bring my arms up abit, they are a tad short of 16'' cold now, and nearly 16 3/4 pumped, the diet information on increasing fat intake seems to be helping at the moment which was in one thread.

It will not be easy as i wish to keep my BF low if i can, which is around 7% at present, but i would like to try and push them up to about 17 1/2'' pumped, allthough my right arm is about 1/4'' larger than my left for some reason.

I only train natural, but would welcome any tips on diet, and ways to increase arm size which have helped any of you along the way.

Thanks for any Help and Assistance in advance btw!

Last edited:
1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I have always found it tremendously difficult if not impossible to gain size while keeping body fat low.

I think everyone's left and right arms are slightly different in shape and size, so 1/4" difference is no big deal.

I am not sure what your diet and training program is right now, but you might consider training your arms with fewer total sets and less frequently, while eating more than you are used to. And by more I mean much more. When I am bulking the amount of food I consume and the frequency of my feedings are extreme.

Good luck!

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
I have always found it tremendously difficult if not impossible to gain size while keeping body fat low.

I think everyone's left and right arms are slightly different in shape and size, so 1/4" difference is no big deal.

I am not sure what your diet and training program is right now, but you might consider training your arms with fewer total sets and less frequently, while eating more than you are used to. And by more I mean much more. When I am bulking the amount of food I consume and the frequency of my feedings are extreme.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Bigun! I eat 5 meals each day with high protien and fats, but low in carbs. The thing is my Doctor says! i must keep my BF low with this diabetes now it is under control.

I train my arms once each week, 16 to 18 sets for bi's and tri's, and my forearms for 16 sets, i use the wind up/down the weight method, and do that twice and then rest, so 8 super sets in all. My forearms are 14'' pumped, i dont know whether that is good or bad.

I read some where if natural it helps to have fairly low fat BF to gain, but i dont know how true that is.

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I think your goal is easily attainable sw.

What's your current workout routine for the week look like?

I think you should try training arms twice a week.

Example: Tuesday, train arms. Lower volume. 1-3 exercises 1-2 sets.... 8-15 reps

Friday repeat this. Maybe go a little heavier on one of the days and stay in the 8 rep range.

Then one day go real light and do more reps. Change it up. Don't over work your arms each time you train them because you'll be training them in a couple days.

Just a thought.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
First thing I think with you is to not get caught up in what something measures , someone once told me a certain Mr O had 16 inch arms onstage another friend of mine who was third in Nabba universe confided in me that when he looked his best he was at a weight most of us would equate with someone who had never touched a weight . What you read in the magazines is hyperbole, truth is most of the pros would run a hundred miles if you come at them with a tape measure , they don't measure on the whole and for good reason : whats the point ? If your bf is that low you can visually see whats happening for a BB or someone concerned with the aesthetic look of the body that is the best measure you can get .

Training wise do you mean 8 supersets or 16-18 total sets ? Also is that total sets or 16-18 for each bi's and tri's ?

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for the reply Bigun! I eat 5 meals each day with high protien and fats, but low in carbs. The thing is my Doctor says! i must keep my BF low with this diabetes now it is under control.

I train my arms once each week, 16 to 18 sets for bi's and tri's, and my forearms for 16 sets, i use the wind up/down the weight method, and do that twice and then rest, so 8 super sets in all. My forearms are 14'' pumped, i dont know wheather that is good or bad.

I read some where if natural it helps to have fairly low fat BF to gain, but i dont know how true that is.

By way of comparison, I do four sets of triceps, twice a week, and do not train my biceps directly at all.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
By way of comparison, I do four sets of triceps, twice a week, and do not train my biceps directly at all.

Yikes big looks like the genetic gods were on duty the day you were born !

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Yikes big looks like the genetic gods were on duty the day you were born !

Thanks brother. I think arms are the easiest muscle group to over-train because of all the indirect work they get in chest, shoulder, and back work. And in most of those compound movements the biceps or triceps are at a comparative disadvantage compared to the major muscle group and therefore are the first to give out.

I used to train my arms along the lines of what sootywooty is doing, based on the notion that I was going to just hammer them with set after set after set after set and force them to grow. That theory didnt work very well for me. In fact, I found almost the opposite to be true--it seemed like the less I trained them the larger they grew. But bear in mind this only works for me when I am blasting my chest, lats, and shoulders past failure and into the burns and forced reps in each workout such that my bis and tris are getting totally blasted on those workout days. Otherwise, I dont think it will work.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
I think your goal is easily attainable sw.

What's your current workout routine for the week look like?

I think you should try training arms twice a week.

Example: Tuesday, train arms. Lower volume. 1-3 exercises 1-2 sets.... 8-15 reps

Friday repeat this. Maybe go a little heavier on one of the days and stay in the 8 rep range.

Then one day go real light and do more reps. Change it up. Don't over work your arms each time you train them because you'll be training them in a couple days.

Just a thought.

That sounds fair comment Turbolag! Because i woud be pumping the nutrients into my arms more often, and mayb it would keep them in a more anabolic state.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
First thing I think with you is to not get caught up in what something measures , someone once told me a certain Mr O had 16 inch arms onstage another friend of mine who was third in Nabba universe confided in me that when he looked his best he was at a weight most of us would equate with someone who had never touched a weight . What you read in the magazines is hyperbole, truth is most of the pros would run a hundred miles if you come at them with a tape measure , they don't measure on the whole and for good reason : whats the point ? If your bf is that low you can visually see whats happening for a BB or someone concerned with the aesthetic look of the body that is the best measure you can get .

Training wise do you mean 8 supersets or 16-18 total sets ? Also is that total sets or 16-18 for each bi's and tri's ?

Yep i can see what you mean Kyle Grey! even though my skin is very white, not much sun here lol! you can see all the cuts in them now, i suppose it is that i read John Grimack had 17 1/2 arms natural at around 5' 8'' and i would like see if i could match them, not sure what BF he had though, but he looked very good to me.

I do the 8 supersets for my forearms till they really burn, i train them on a different day to my bi's and tri's btw, and for my bi's and tri's, again i train them on different days for each of them, and i start slow with single sets, then some drop sets towards the end to really burn them. So a total of around 16 to 18 sets altogether for each.

Last edited:
sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013

Yes i think genetics are a major factor with arms as well, i know Larry Scott built his amazing biceps with his Scott Bench, but he still had the good genetics to start with, look at that very high peak he had which must help alot for size and appearance also.

Last edited:
kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
Yep i can see what you mean Kyle Grey! even though my skin is very white, not much sun here lol!

Ha ha you don't say mate we're practically neighbours . Looks to me as though you are doing too much ! Your routine reminds me of the stuff they used to print in the old muscle and fitness magazines when the pros were supposedly doing mega sets as opposed to what you should be doing as a natural athlete which is an abbreviated workout .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic