Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Whey Vs. Creatine vs. Amino Acid Vs. Whey & Creatine?

G

gundo94

Sep 2, 2013
I'm kinda new to this whole weight lifting thing. I've been lifting for about a year, and I'm not a huge fan of taking a bunch of supplements.
I've been taking whey protein on occasion, (I forget half of the time because I leave for work at 5 A.M, go to class, and then to the gym right after, and it's hard to remember everything in the mornings) but now I've been hearing a lot about amino acid supplements and creatine, which makes my head spin. I've been looking at some non-biased websites about the benefits and side effects of some of them, but I can't seem to figure out which one would be 'right' for me.
To be honest, I just want to know which one is the most effective for recovery and maintaining muscle while trying to lose body fat.
Also to keep in mind that I'm hoping to compete in power lifting around December, and I don't want anything that would have me test positive for anything that might prevent me from being able to compete.
Thanks so much.

L

losieloos

Dec 19, 2012
Dont know anything about pl. But eating food should be your number one priority over supplements.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
If you're getting the min required protein for your body, then you are wasting money on BCAA supps. The only time I feel BCAAs benefit is during hard dieting or if you workout fasted.

As for creatine, I don't use it, but, I know it's been proven over and over to work. Don't use anything other than monohydrate either. Everything else has been proven to be garbage compared to mono.

Whey should be viewed as supplemental only. Use it only when you are having appetite issues or can't eat a meal, and your progress will be better, I promise. The FDA doesn't regulate supplements, except to pull them or alter them if they have been shown to be harmful. That said, most protein powders don't contain the claimed amount of protein per serving.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
If you're getting the min required protein for your body, then you are wasting money on BCAA supps. The only time I feel BCAAs benefit is during hard dieting or if you workout fasted.

As for creatine, I don't use it, but, I know it's been proven over and over to work. Don't use anything other than monohydrate either. Everything else has been proven to be garbage compared to mono.

Whey should be viewed as supplemental only. Use it only when you are having appetite issues or can't eat a meal, and your progress will be better, I promise. The FDA doesn't regulate supplements, except to pull them or alter them if they have been shown to be harmful. That said, most protein powders don't contain the claimed amount of protein per serving.

Well put- to me the only supps that have any place - are protien powder- like whey can be assimilated quickly after workout or creatine monohydrate- Having been natty almost 20 years and being bigger and stronger than all the anabolic guys at my gym , then my results were even better when I began to "use" - there is a science behind the creatine and the whey. However you need a good stong diet as the cornerstobe to your training no matter what. Why some young fool may thing that the gear works no matter what- the results of one doing what he needs and the one that just has no plan are huge - looking big and hard and huge is much differetn than looking like a bigger version of a lump

Nexus

Nexus

Nov 3, 2011
If anyone is concerned about supplement regulation, I feel pretty confident with NutraBio. All pharmaceutical grade stuff with no fillers. Also their facility is FDA inspected. Don't really know if it makes all that much difference, but makes me feel better about it.

For me it's my very strict diet > whey protein (get the extra calories and protein) > BCAA & Glutamine.

I also think a multi-vitamin and fish oil is good for overall health.

My 2 cents..

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Protein is an absolute must in this buisness to say the least. Both whey and casein have their beneficial times of intake. Creatine, never been much of a fan, can cause bloating and possibly some severe stomach ache, use in moderation.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Yes, but it doesn't always work exactly as predicted ie 30 mins after a w/o, or right before some sleep. Sometimes the so called clock didn't kick until 3 hours after. It also depends on any sups someone might be taking.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Even some of the sublingual aminos taken while training can give a boost and chase it with some lemon water. I think the coined phrase is intra work out.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks for the post, however, You have to start your nutrient intake sometime or another either before you w/o or after. Then your meals are measured or timed then. It is all about timing. Can't speak for anyone but my experience, So when one gets finished with a training sesh, and your in a rush to your local High School stadium to watch and relax, before you go, you go through the ritual of the protein shake and other post work out synthesis, at approximately 45 min your sitting there and all of a sudden you get a noticeable pump and become increasingly vascular, then I will stick with the myth. Like I said earlier timing is unpredictable.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Thanks for the post, however, You have to start your nutrient intake sometime or another either before you w/o or after. Then your meals are measured or timed then. It is all about timing. Can't speak for anyone but my experience, So when one gets finished with a training sesh, and your in a rush to your local High School stadium to watch and relax, before you go, you go through the ritual of the protein shake and other post work out synthesis, at approximately 45 min your sitting there and all of a sudden you get a noticeable pump and become increasingly vascular, then I will stick with the myth. Like I said earlier timing is unpredictable.

When I stopped timing my meals, and started focusing on just WHAT I was eating (cals, macros, real food), my progress increased dramatically. Almost everything we know about nutrient timing has no been debunked. No more 2-3 hour meals etc.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic