Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
bsimon7074
What's New?

Macgyver: From recreational lifter/bodybuilder to powerlifter. A new road to travel.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Hey guys, I wanted to start a new journal which would more accurately depict my current goals.

Background: 40yo 5'9 205. A decade of training experience. First 7 years in my 20's. I gained almost 50lbs LBM naturally from 17-24. At 24 with "bodybuilder" style training, I had a deadlift somewhere in the 560 range @195lb bw and 10%bf. I knew a good deal about training, but little about proper nutrition. I made progress using radical diets like CKD but really did not know what I was doing. I could follow most any laid out plan, but knew little about manipulating my macros for desired effect.

Fast forward to a few years back. With 40 looming on the horizon, I decided to take my life back. I had neglected myself for some time. (family, work, life...etc) This time I made nutrition paramount and focused more of my training on basic heavy compound movements (as I could only train 3 days a week). In the process of getting 'back in shape', I found my strength returned quickly. The motivation to become stronger then I have ever been, fueled my workouts.

I also wanted to look 'in shape' again. For me I work to stay between 10-12%bf. I have found it is a happy balance for me. Any lower and I really pay toll in strength. Any higher and I am just not happy with how I look.

I am now at a pivotal moment in my training for me. To me there must always be a goal. A boat adrift will surly go nowhere. I am discovering that I enjoy lifting and find myself drawn to the sport of powerlifiting. I realize that I dont know anything about true powerlifting. I am blessed and have worked very hard to develop my strength, but I have done little to perfect it's application. That is my goal moving forward.

In this journal I will log my progress towards becoming a better, more technical powerlifter. My workouts will always be a hybrid as are my goals, but my focus will be on improving my totals and not to just be a one trick pony.

My lifts:

Deads
Current best 620

Closer view of form with from my 2nd lift 600

Always been a strong point for me. I was totally stuck until about 4 months ago in the 560-570 range. I reached out to several guys on here who really helped me improve some major issues with my form. I fixed my early rising hips a great deal with a combination of deficits and some changes in technique.

I am not sure what else might use tweaking at this point, but I could see improving my speed off the ground. I can lock about anything out and if I fail it is is in the first 4-6 inches.

Bench
Current PB 405

My form is terrible. No leg drive, no arch. Dont even know where to begin....but I am taking the advice of some on here and trying to learn. I am going to start with my setup and work my way down. I am doing all the reading I can as there are no real 'technical' lifters at my gym. Some good benchers, but brute strength only.

Squats:
Current max Unknown?...

During my bodybuilding pursuits, I began to worry my glutes were overdeveloped relative to my quads. My answer to this was to quit squatting and focus attention on my quads only. I only recently started squatting a few months back and my ego caused me to get hurt. Rushing to squat too heavy, I pulled a hip flexor pretty bad. I have struggled to re-hab it for just over 3 months now. I finally figured that squatting close (shoulder width) does not aggravate it. Heaviest I have gone with this close stance is 465. I am not sure what to do other then to keep lifting in a manner that is pain free and then over time just try to incorporate things that dont cause pain, and may help me move more weight).

Vid of a recent single. (CNS coordination is still not back 100%. Lift is shaky and uncoordinated).

So this is my start. I have been doing a modified 5/3/1 program but have started to change it up to suit me more. I liked the progression of 5/3/1 and I did make progress in all my lifts, but it also left some to be desired in other areas. I will post my workout details when I get a chance.

I welcome and appreciate ANY feedback. I realize I know little about actual technique and I have a long road to travel.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
Should be a great log bro. Your lifts are very impressive IMO. Ill be following although I don't know much about powerlifting.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Congrats on making this decision. With your strength it seems you'll be a natural fit.

Squat...head up..chest out. Your back looked rolled over a little bit. Find a focal point on the wall in front of you about head high...keep your eyes on it as you squat and come back up.

Bench..what has helped me get a better understanding of form is Ryan Kennely's Bench Monster book. And listening to other's who have built their bench up.

Deads..nice looking lift.

Welcome to Powerlifting....It's an adventure you won't regret.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Awesome! Glad to see a log up for this. I see what you mean about the squat. You have a lot of upper back issues going on with it. See how the elbows point back and you're rounded over? You need to work on getting your chest up, upper back and traps tight and push the elbows forward. Also make sure to start locking your knees before you squat. If you don't lock your knees, the judge in a meet will not give you a squat command.

It'll be fun to see you break 600 with that squat.

What are you doing for re-hab for the hip flexor? What region of the hip are we talking about?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Should be a great log bro. Your lifts are very impressive IMO. Ill be following although I don't know much about powerlifting.

Thanks man!

Congrats on making this decision. With your strength it seems you'll be a natural fit.

Squat...head up..chest out. Your back looked rolled over a little bit. Find a focal point on the wall in front of you about head high...keep your eyes on it as you squat and come back up.

Bench..what has helped me get a better understanding of form is Ryan Kennely's Bench Monster book. And listening to other's who have built their bench up.

Deads..nice looking lift.

Welcome to Powerlifting....It's an adventure you won't regret.

I will have to look for that book. I know I pretty much need to start from scratch. I have a f'd up shoulder which stems from a broken collar bone when I was 18. My shoulder alignment is permanently altered. (right shoulder sits almost 3/4" off center now). I have managed to work around it, but I am always aware of it.

Good points on the squat. I really need to get my confidence back under the bar. It goes a long way just feeling comfortable.

Awesome! Glad to see a log up for this. I see what you mean about the squat. You have a lot of upper back issues going on with it. See how the elbows point back and you're rounded over? You need to work on getting your chest up, upper back and traps tight and push the elbows forward. Also make sure to start locking your knees before you squat. If you don't lock your knees, the judge in a meet will not give you a squat command.

It'll be fun to see you break 600 with that squat.

What are you doing for re-hab for the hip flexor? What region of the hip are we talking about?

It is a pulled hip flexor and piriformis. I was seeing a sports chiro for re-hab, but nothing seems to have helped it. It is down in my leg so deep. Stretching helps a lot (but I have not kept up like I should). I think switching to close stance squats has helped a lot. It has gotten better in the past 3 weeks then it has in 3 months.

With regard to squat form....yea....I am a mess. My upper body flexibility is TERRIBLE! I have to hold the bar out by the ends as I am incapable of getting in any further. I have been working on flexibility for about a month and it has improved slightly....but it still sucks.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Good deal man. Glad to catch it from the beginning.

HDH

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011

Mac,

Incorporate some pendlay row as show and this will help with your upper back strength additionally, helping you to be more upright on the squat. Also get that head up prior to unracking the weight. Best of luck with the training

Last edited by a moderator:
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
For speed from the floor on deads, work in deficit deads and snatch grip deficit deads.

For completely revamping your bench and squat form, work high rep in the 50% range for at least a few weeks. The old adage about how long it takes to make something habit and how much longer it takes to break bad habits and remake good ones, makes it sensible to get there faster using lighter weight and higher reps. If you try to get in hundreds and hundreds of reps at 75+% it'll take months and months, IF you stay healthy.

Once you've gotten your form worked out and have found a thoughtless and comfortable groove using your new form, THEN start working back to the heavier weights.

Just my opinion.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Can't wait to follow MG.

Your numbers are really impressive man.

I think you will do great in powerlifting. :cool:

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
You bench 405 for reps.

Man you would do awesome in a meet.

Thanks but I don't think so. My squat is only in the low 400s for reps and I don't really do full deads much anymore just rack pulls. I don't think my total numbers would be that great. Thanks though.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
The old adage about how long it takes to make something habit

10,000 reps according to the Russians, for something to become habit, just reactionary without thinking. Great advice sad.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic