Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Alcohol and Ketosis

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I've been on a CKD since January and I've had great results. Started at 218, and I weight 190. No loss in strength and I wanna say that my arms got bigger, but I think I just measured wrong when I started. I carb load from friday night until sunday morning. I won't get into specifics, but I get about 1g protein per pound I weigh, on low carbs days between 20-30g of carbs, and I don't even count fat. I've been losing consistently 1-2 lbs a week since the beginning.

I typically hit ketosis late wednesday. Sunday; I do legs, Monday:, deads and lower back, Tuesday; chest, upper back, Wednesday; arms Thursday; shoulders. Wednesday through Friday I do heavier cardio. I hit ketosis usually miday wednesday or early thursday pretty consistently. Out of ketosis on saturday, then do it all over again.

My question- This last week, friend came in from Japan and had a single malt whiskey. First time I had carbs over 100g in a day for the week. Tuesday, I drank enough that would have had me saying yes Paarke's worse WYHI's. I assumed that this would completely start over the keto. Well, come Thursday; I was in ketosis. I was fully hydrated, and I was seeing dark pink.

How does alcohol and CKD come into play? Does alcohol sugars act like a regular carbohydrate (sugars, not a complex carb)? From what I understand of CKD, it should have knocked me out and it takes me 3 days to get back in. Has anyone have input on this?

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
As long as I used carb free mixers , and only hard alcohol I stay in Keto,
The only thing I found when looking for this same answer awhile back was that your body will burn the alcohol off first, so essentially you will not be burning fat while alcohol is in you system, however the carbs aren't true carbs , and Ive never had it bump me out ..

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
Wow, good to know. What about wine?

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I'm not a wine drinker , but I would assume because it is fermented fruit it would bump you out , though that would depend on the amount you had ,.

Azog

Azog

Sep 9, 2012
When I first turned 21, I keto'd 6.5 days a week and drank vodka like it was my job. Gains were minimal but I never got thrown from ketosis ans I kept pretty lean.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I've been on a CKD since January and I've had great results. Started at 218, and I weight 190. No loss in strength and I wanna say that my arms got bigger, but I think I just measured wrong when I started. I carb load from friday night until sunday morning. I won't get into specifics, but I get about 1g protein per pound I weigh, on low carbs days between 20-30g of carbs, and I don't even count fat. I've been losing consistently 1-2 lbs a week since the beginning.

I typically hit ketosis late wednesday. Sunday; I do legs, Monday:, deads and lower back, Tuesday; chest, upper back, Wednesday; arms Thursday; shoulders. Wednesday through Friday I do heavier cardio. I hit ketosis usually miday wednesday or early thursday pretty consistently. Out of ketosis on saturday, then do it all over again.

My question- This last week, friend came in from Japan and had a single malt whiskey. First time I had carbs over 100g in a day for the week. Tuesday, I drank enough that would have had me saying yes Paarke's worse WYHI's. I assumed that this would completely start over the keto. Well, come Thursday; I was in ketosis. I was fully hydrated, and I was seeing dark pink.

How does alcohol and CKD come into play? Does alcohol sugars act like a regular carbohydrate (sugars, not a complex carb)? From what I understand of CKD, it should have knocked me out and it takes me 3 days to get back in. Has anyone have input on this?

Whiskey does not have carbs. As well as most hard liquor.

Z

Zumjay85

May 15, 2013
I don't know any of the fancy lingo. What I do know is that I've been steadily drinking and training for years...and I have not experienced as much performance improvement as when I actually stopped drinking alcohol on the whole. Recovery, Strength Gains, Sex life...the whole sha bang-abang.

That's my 2 cents...a word to the wise ought be sufficient

Seira_1337

Seira_1337

TID Lady Member
Jul 15, 2014
In addition to your body burning the alcohol before anything else, moderate alcohol consumption also causes the body to release substantial amounts of cortisol, a stress hormone which has been linked to fat storage.

jshredz

jshredz

VIP Member
Nov 14, 2012
I've been competing since 2006 and I used to stop drinking during my contest prep then went back to my normal lifestyle in the off season.
Now I barely drink at all, all year around because I notice it's a lot harder to recover and grow.
Injuries also took longer to heal for me when I use to drink. And to top it off alcohol would also cause gyno for me.
If your serious about bodybuilding alcohol is not your ally.
Just my thoughts but this is my thoughts from years of experience.

Mondo

Mondo

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2015
Found this at LiveStrong:

Liquor and Weight Gain

While distilled liquor doesn't contain carbohydrates, drinking liquor may result in weight gain in several ways. For one, liquor has a high alcohol content, which means it is high in calories while providing zero nutrition. Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram -- almost as much as fat -- or about 110 calories per 1.5-ounce shot of 80-proof spirits. Since alcohol doesn't contain any nutrients, drinking liquor doesn't cause you to feel full. Drinking actually stimulates your appetite while lowering your inhibitions, making you more likely to overindulge in other foods while under the influence. Additionally, your body processes alcohol before it processes fat, protein or carbs. Thus, consuming liquor further contributes to weight gain by slowing the burning of fat.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic