Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

bulging lumbar disc - is there a cycle for that?

D

Dsly

Dec 5, 2012
I was feeling some sciatic nerve pain in my left butt cheek for a while which would flair up after heavy deadlifts and squats. I felt great while I was doing them and never felt injured, just that nerve pain afterwards. I didn't take is seriously. One day after a heavy leg day, I went to a chiropractor who I met at the gym. He said he could help the sciatic nerve issue. After being adjusted I felt better and had better range of motion. However a few hours later I became very sore. I went to bed that night and in the morning I could barely move. My lower back was locked up. After 2 days of laying in bed whining about the pain, I went back to the chiropractor and he said it sounded like a bulging disc. He said I probably did it doing the deadlifts.

It's been 3 weeks and I've tried to take it easy. I'm on the bike instead of running. I can do chest, shoulders, and back excercises like pull downs and stuff but I haven't done anything that would put pressure on my lower back. It still hurts. I haven't had it x-rayed or MRIed but the bulging disc theory sounds plausible to me.
Sciatic nerve is worse than ever, lower back is weak and sore. Can't lift my legs up without pain in my lower back.

Is there a cycle that would help reduce my recovery time in this situation?

Thanks for your help,

-Sly-

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Wait ? What ?
Get diagnosed first. There is no " cycle " that is going to help you.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
yes... there is a cycle that will help...

It is called the life cycle... and when yours is over... so will the pain... and the stoopidity!!!!!

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
1. go to a real doctor not a chiro, this will allow you to be properly diagnosed. Then it can be determined what type of rehab program you need.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Go to the dr for sure man.

He or she will refer you to get an MRI.

That will answer any questions you have about your back.

I thought that I had heard GH was good for repairing. Idk how it would work for the back though.

DF

DF

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2012
A bulging disc can't be diagnosed without an MRI.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
You should not have a chiro adjust your disc when you are experiencing sciatica. Foolproof way of aggravating or worsening the condition. You are going to have to rest the back now. I've have herniated discs for last 30 years so I speak from experience.

DF

DF

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2012
As will anything in life there are good, bad & great in any profession. A Chiro should know when & where to adjust so that the condition is not aggravated. Also going to a Chiro 1 or 2 times is not going to "cure" any condition with the type of training that we put ourselves through.

Ice that shit & get to a doc if you feel the need. If your not having pain down the leg/weakness they probably wont send you for an MRI. You'll get a script & be told see me in a few weeks if it's not better & stay out of the gym.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Cycle, Ice and Red Pepper cream, repeat. MRI will tell you if it is a true buldge, if not, it is a muscle strain, a swollen back muscle can impinge the nerve against a vertebra and give the feeling and sensation of something much worse then just a swollen muscle where rest is needed.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
1. go to a real doctor not a chiro, this will allow you to be properly diagnosed. Then it can be determined what type of rehab program you need.

Couldn't agree more chiropractors are ****ing quacks and you're crazy letting someone without an MD "adjust" your back imo.

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
I had back surgery for spinal stenosis; decompression surgery, so I know a little bit about the low back deal. My symptom was sciatica down both legs. Sciatica can be caused by lots of things though, so my advice would be to rest and relax your back 24/7 for a few weeks. If the pain continues, definitely get an MRI. My sciatic nerve pain had nothing to do with discs. Don't guess about your back. Take good care. I researched and interviewed surgeons and luckily I settled on the right one. My back is 100% healthy now, and I take great care of it in the gym.
Don't dick around with this; a life of pain is around the corner if you mess this up.

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
Hey J-Dub, I love the slogan about powerlifting on your reply; made me laugh out loud!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic