Is it "strongest " wins anymore?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Here is a great excerpt out of amma's training log

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=185753&tid=202

To add to it :
I couldn't agree more that it isn't necessarily the strongest that wins.It is a whole bunch of other stuff put together. Strategy,speed,who has actually trained a similar implement. I have always been one to use straps . My grip sucks. However getting me in a suit is like giving a cat a bath . I agree on the theory of saving the energy for other events and suiting up on a dl event but a suit is something I just haven't gotten used to.
Now we have the strongman fitness class. They bust thier asses but it still isnt who is the strongest .Maybe strongest and fittest in thier class but again I feel like it isnt old school strongman.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Its appears its about conditioning and the technical knowledge of the events. I think you give the DL suit too much credit. The majority of SM/SW pull conventional. A DL suit doesn't do much for a conventional puller.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Its appears its about conditioning and the technical knowledge of the events. I think you give the DL suit too much credit. The majority of SM/SW pull conventional. A DL suit doesn't do much for a conventional puller.
5-10% is what I'm always hearing most people can expect to get out of a decent DL suit. I've never worn one so I can't comment, but that seems to be around what is the median percentage gain.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I have a single ply dead lift suit. I pull conventional. I really don't get anything out of it. Except light headed.

But I may not know how to use it properly.

Sumo is where the suit gives the most support.

But also, dead lift is the lift that is least effected by what gear you have on. You are pulling stagnant weight off the floor.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
If you look at new vs old, I think some of the events have changed where it is no longer pure strength but a combination of strength, agility, coordination.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
I don't think there's a such thing as pure strength in any sport. Even in PL not sure the "strongest" always wins, there's strategy in everything, pre-meet rest, pre-meet meals, what weight you open open with, set up, do you change shirts with each lift etc etc etc.... I think thats one of the best things about any strength sport, trying to figure out all of these little details and dialing everything in at just that right moment. I love strongman and those guys use so much strategy but strength of mind is still strength imo.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Thanks RR- good read, good to consider. Things seem to evolve, to get more complex with time. Working with the details, as has been pointed out above...

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012

Most promoters now a days don't allow sumo pulling in competition. You'd be surprised how much some of the "newer" conventional style multiply suits help

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
She has a good take on how things have evolved. Myself, I would like to see everything go back to the single ply suit in power lifting. I do however like the new strongman/women formats. Makes for a more entertaining product.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
It is who is strongest and performs the best on that given day along with if those events suit that individual as well as how the competitors fare that day performance and healthwise. A bunch of variables. Being the strongest certainly does help but doesn't always get you a win IMO.

Not necessarily the strongest overall wins. I have competed like crap and lost to much weaker people and then I have competed well and beaten stronger individuals as well. Been hurt to many times to count and lost a comp. I would have easily won. Made errors, etc, etc.

I agree if you train those events specifically you will be better.

I personally never prepped for a comp. I might do some of those events in regular training, but I didn't only train those events. Likewise I was never one to bitch when they changed events for that reason. Meanwhile alot of the guys that trained with us would take ONLY the events in question, weeks out before a show and do only those.

The preparation of events specific to that contest.....I do feel it makes one perform better..I just never cared enough to do it.

Suits should not be allowed, nor briefs Sumo should not be allowed. Clean and jerk should not be allowed. Tacky on grip events should not be allowed. Resting the bar on your belt should not be allowed in events like Conans wheel, etc..

Wraps, belts, sleeves, tacky, tape, chalk and straps should be allowed as safety devices. You can't argue straps because Strongman is not powerlifting. When you have a 700lb car for reps and you tear a callous 2' long off your hand..that is just not optimal for the sport. In PL'ing straps would be offensive, but then again I find geared lifting to be useless as well, but that is my personal stance and I never mind if someone else chooses to do it....just not me.

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Here is a great excerpt out of amma's training log

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=185753&tid=202

To add to it :
I couldn't agree more that it isn't necessarily the strongest that wins.It is a whole bunch of other stuff put together. Strategy,speed,who has actually trained a similar implement. I have always been one to use straps . My grip sucks. However getting me in a suit is like giving a cat a bath . I agree on the theory of saving the energy for other events and suiting up on a dl event but a suit is something I just haven't gotten used to.
Now we have the strongman fitness class. They bust thier asses but it still isnt who is the strongest .Maybe strongest and fittest in thier class but again I feel like it isnt old school strongman.

I agree, to a point. Old school strength is def an argument and there are times that I Just want to see that. However, during my education and courses, we talked about many different types of strength, ie Speed strength, max strength, strength endurance, and then of course, within that are the classic dynamic and static, which I am sure you are already aware of because of your training techniques for your sport.

As for suits, well, it's always fun to see big numbers, however, there is a debate over technique with suit use vs strength. They can go hand in hand, but technique will absolutely have a more dramatic increase in intensity (in the resistance definition).

You have to admit. as much as we rag on Crossfit, it's refreshing to see athletes getting away from using so much gear.

On a final note, thanks for making me spit my diet coke all over my lap top from the cat comment. lol

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I definitely agree, strength has become a factor, but is not the only thing. Strategy and conditioning have become big in those events. Look at crossfit. Those guys do some incredible stuff and do decent weight but a lot of what crossfit is technique and conditioning.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic