Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Single ply Gear

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
OK this is starting to happen. I've came across more gear and hooked a guy up at my Gym with some gear I had. I kind of just jumped up a weight class so I out grew my Bench shirt and V-Squatter, but I found a newer V-Style Metal Suit.

The Metal suit isn't as aggressive as the Titan. Really not even close. But I figured it might be easier to learn for Deadlifts.

Next meet is Nov. 19th. I would like to make that my first Geared meet. It's a 365 Strong Federation. Small Fed for sure. This is their first Missouri Meet. APA and 365 have the same Rules. The Bench Shirt can be opened Back. Guessing that is a Big advantage for ease of use, does it effect the strength any?

I just need a Bench Shirt. Most likely will be Titan as I'll go through Lifting Large to get.
http://www.liftinglarge.com/Titan-Support-Systems-Bench-Press-Shirts

Just not sure which one to start off with. I do have an ok Arch and I Use Max Width for my Grip. If that means anything. I do have a Team, but they know nothing about Gear. With that said they are there to help me not get crushed. Our Bench has Safety Bars

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
You have plenty of time before November to figure out new gear if you already have a good start...... if you're ordering Titan gear go through Ken Anderson. He can usually do a better job getting you what you need and has fantastic service.
Open back is usually a multi ply thing, but any shirt can be opened up. It makes it easier to get in to and easier to adjust. At your skill level I'd go Katana a size loose, and stay away from the Evil Twin stuff that's stiffer...... most guys that aren't really dialed in do better jacking a loose shirt than trying to work a crazy tight shirt.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
You have plenty of time before November to figure out new gear if you already have a good start...... if you're ordering Titan gear go through Ken Anderson. He can usually do a better job getting you what you need and has fantastic service.
Open back is usually a multi ply thing, but any shirt can be opened up. It makes it easier to get in to and easier to adjust. At your skill level I'd go Katana a size loose, and stay away from the Evil Twin stuff that's stiffer...... most guys that aren't really dialed in do better jacking a loose shirt than trying to work a crazy tight shirt.

Thanks @porky little keg

Sounds like a plan.. A guy I have dealt with before has a few slightly used Blast Shirts. Should I pick one of those up to work with first? I'll be ordering through Mike at Lifting Large. Mike has done so much for me already. I won't go any where else. I've tried a few times to get hold of Ken about adding his wraps to my site but I never hear back. I've have ordered a few things from Ken when I first started PL'ing. My first lever belt. Which broke twice in under a 1yr. and my singlet which is great and I like it.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Thanks @porky little keg

Sounds like a plan.. A guy I have dealt with before has a few slightly used Blast Shirts. Should I pick one of those up to work with first? .

Shirts like that won't give you room to grow like a loose legitimate shirt. With a looser shirt you can learn the groove and when you feel like you're getting it - have someone tighten the sleeves and adjust to the new support..... a Blast shirt will never give much no matter how tight you make it and they blow out a LOT more when you try to wear them tight...... BUT, I'd definitely recommend getting a shirt like that or just a really loose F6. I have an F6 that I can pull on by myself and can make touch with just the bar. Easily touch with a plate. That sort of shirt is worthless for competition but solid gold for training. Whereas a slingshot doesn't actually provide ANY protection ( even making more pressure on your shoulders) a looser, baby shirt will give some compression and protection when you go heavy. After tearing my pec badly trying a raw rev band 700 floor press I started wearing the baby shirt for all of my heavy raw work over 500 and it's helped keep me less prone to injury while still letting me work my raw groove.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Shirts like that won't give you room to grow like a loose legitimate shirt. With a looser shirt you can learn the groove and when you feel like you're getting it - have someone tighten the sleeves and adjust to the new support..... a Blast shirt will never give much no matter how tight you make it and they blow out a LOT more when you try to wear them tight...... BUT, I'd definitely recommend getting a shirt like that or just a really loose F6. I have an F6 that I can pull on by myself and can make touch with just the bar. Easily touch with a plate. That sort of shirt is worthless for competition but solid gold for training. Whereas a slingshot doesn't actually provide ANY protection ( even making more pressure on your shoulders) a looser, baby shirt will give some compression and protection when you go heavy. After tearing my pec badly trying a raw rev band 700 floor press I started wearing the baby shirt for all of my heavy raw work over 500 and it's helped keep me less prone to injury while still letting me work my raw groove.

I'll order a Katana 1 size up... How much should I be getting out of that Shirt? Are we talking 50lbs or closer to 100lbs?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I'll order a Katana 1 size up... How much should I be getting out of that Shirt? Are we talking 50lbs or closer to 100lbs?
Everyone is different...... We have a 198-er who benches 400 raw and hit 661 in his single ply Overkill ( in a meet).... and our 181-er also benches 400 raw but hasn't hit 600 yet in multi ply.... and this is with some of the most knowledgeable gear guys around helping. Everyone is just different and every shirt is different too - case in point - me and a teammate both bench around 525 raw. His best bench in a Katana is 683. My best in my Overkill is 860..... part of it is the shirt and part is our ability to work the shirt.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic