Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Remember Why You Fight

Fulzen

Fulzen

May 26, 2016
As a frequent competitor in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu that is making the transition into Mixed Martial Arts, my hobby/passion can be grueling at times if I want to put in the time to perform well. It’s not always easy to drag myself to the gym for a lift, or onto the mats for a difficult training session after a long day of work and classes. Add an attempt at maintaining a social life into the mix, and other obligations I have in life, and I could easily use the excuses, “I’m too tired” or, “I don’t have enough time”, and crap out on my training. Making these choices would be easy, and loads of people do, each and every day. But are those people missing out on living life the way they want because they choose the easier path? You’re better than them. Take a good, honest look at your life right now and ask yourself, “What forms of adversity are keeping me from achieving my goals in life at this very moment?” Whatever it may be, they will never go away. There will ALWAYS be obstacles in your way, or easier roads that will lead you anywhere other than where you want to be.

Identifying what you want is important, and successful people are goal-oriented. Flimsy goals do not hold up long in the face of adversities. In order to keep grinding towards your goals, the why becomes the most crucial factor in realizing your dreams. Whenever I have a day that seems to be dragging longer than others, and I have moments of doubt as to whether or not I’ll make it to the gym later, or whether eating chicken and vegetables instead of fast food is really worth it, I always remind myself of the why. Without the why, your goals begin to transition away from being goals and dreams, and begin to look more like empty wishes. “Eh, I guess it would be kind of nice to be in shape….” Or, “man, I wish I had more money”. Empty wishes become the motto of the unsuccessful and those that lack the drive to go out and achieve what they really want!

So, set your goals, write them down on paper. Right now. Don’t put it off for a more convenient time. Write them down and develop a clear strategy on how to achieve them. I need to cut 10 pounds in order to make weight for my division in a couple of months? No amount of wishing I was stronger and leaner will help me get there, but getting my butt to the gym consistently and attacking my training sessions will. Allowing the obstacles of life to interfere with your goals is the path to an unfulfilling existence. You’re capable of reaching your goals. So go out and put in the work to get there. And, when the road seems too difficult to continue, or quitting seems like a nice option…

Remember why you fight.

*My roommate, Spencer Smith, wrote this article for my site, fulzen.org. It got me super pumped so I figured you all would enjoy it as well.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You competing at IBJJF Worlds this coming week?

trainlikeaboss

trainlikeaboss

Apr 4, 2013
I've never really understood the "why" of fighting. It's definitely entertaining and I guess maybe for the fighter it's cool to say "hey I'm good at beating people up!" But I don't really get it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I've never really understood the "why" of fighting. It's definitely entertaining and I guess maybe for the fighter it's cool to say "hey I'm good at beating people up!" But I don't really get it.

It's all about the rush, the adrenaline, the feeling of victory, of being the best, in a sport that makes one feel powerful. Not always powerful in the sense of "I can beat you up", but in a sense of physical and mental toughness. Fighting as sport has been around for thousands of years. I don't believe that will ever change.

I don't train in MMA, but having trained in Judo, I totally get it now.

trainlikeaboss

trainlikeaboss

Apr 4, 2013
I don't think it's going away either because people like violence and competition!

D

DaRocky

Jul 14, 2016
@trainlikeaboss the "why" of fighting for me was originally self defense that turned into habit, that turned into enjoyment. I grew up in a really rough neighborhood, I was 4'11" and smart; NOT a good combination for intimidation. I was beat up (without exaggeration) 3-4 times a week. Seriously! When I turned 14 I had a major growth spurt and hit the gym, and dojo. I started my weight training, and Tae Kwon Do, Kenpo, and Eskrima. When I went back to school 9" taller, with actual muscles starting, suddenly I was able to fight back and actually do something. After that I stuck with martial arts and competed regularly because like I tell my students "a lesson is not a lesson until life has proven it's been learned" aka "if you're going to train, get your butt in the ring". After 20 years of martial arts, I went to a competition, and for the first time, my kids mom went to an event with me. She freaked out afterwards because as you may know, MMA isn't hitting each other with fluffy pillows, it's pretty aggressive. With a kid on the way, I retired from competing.

The reason I fought, because it reminded me that I could. It reminded me that as long as I was in that ring fighting, I could do anything. I was no longer that 4 foot 11 inch punching bag.

trainlikeaboss

trainlikeaboss

Apr 4, 2013
@trainlikeaboss the "why" of fighting...
...punching bag.

That makes sense man. Everyone has a different story. I never got into a lot of fights when I was younger. (Maybe because I was tall and "weird".) The few fights I've been in I really fucked people up and then I felt bad for it. I try to avoid it. Especially since I know I am not good at it and just got lucky that I was not fighting anyone with any formal training.! Of course that's probably entirely different than getting in the ring with someone. I suppose I could do that if I felt that I was really THAT GOOD at it. But just never felt compelled to be a fighter.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Thank you for the article, I am not a fighter, BJJ, but rather in life. It applies to all aspects of life, not just the training world, or racing or sports. I have been so unfocused, and wishy washy that last 6 months. Training, life, relationships, work have all suffered from it. The day you think you have read it all, then you run into something like this, and it wakes your ass up.

Just what I needed.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic